• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EmrldDrgn

Pascal-C(++, #)

This topic is 4332 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was recently poking around the internet and came across "Let's Build a Compiler!" by Jack Crenshaw. I quickly realized it was massively out of date, as it was using the "new" Turbo Pascal 4.0. However, I thought I might attempt to translate the code samples to a language I understood, such as C, C++, or C# (although C# might be problematical). Would this be really difficult? Can anyone recommend a similar book using one of those languages? Please don't tell me I'll basically never develop my own programming language. I know that. This is just for fun.

Advertisement
Well first thing is first. Get a Pascal and a C tutorial (you can get a C++ tutorial as well; i think Pascal and C map is pretty mappable) and start translating. In fact, I remember some people making C Pascal like by using macros. Once you hit a bump, ask! [smile]. Honestly I don't think translating the code will be all that difficult.

I use this book myself
and it mentions the dragon book and how it's like 100x more difficult so I'd stay away from that book until you already have some compiler experience.
the language used is vb.net which easily translates into c#.

Thanks for the responses. After reading the posted links, I've come to the following decisions:

1) I'm still gonna try to translate the Pascal code. I figure it might come in handy someday.
2) I've decided on Compiling for the .Net CLR based on the "dragon book" looking rather complex for me, and "Build Your .Net Language Compiler" getting less than favorable reviews on Amazon. Anyone who's read/used this book, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!