• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nini

what is best today for interior culling ?

This topic is 4306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys , i want to hear from your experience about culling of interior scene. What is the best today ? Creating an authoring tool for interiors and using a system like portals , or using an existing map format like thoses from quake or valve, like this we have access to already made tools ? Do octree/frustum cull can correspond to Interiors ? How professional games deal with this ? do they spend time developping specific tools for this ? Thanx in advance for your replies...

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Portal System

and generally big games use their own map editor

Some game developers use commercial 3D editors like Maya, with custom plugins and scripts to add game-specific functionality. 3D engines that are intended to be used in multiple games or licensed to other companies often have their own editors but this is obviously more work.

A really dirt-cheap method would be using an off-the-shelf modelling program and interpreting the data when you load it into the game engine. For example, to place a portal you could just make a rectangle with a material named "portal". When loading the level in your program, you check the material and create a portal instead of a visible polygon. Alternatively, you can write a pre-processing tool that does this.

Quote:
Original post by Fingers_
A really dirt-cheap method would be using an off-the-shelf modelling program and interpreting the data when you load it into the game engine. For example, to place a portal you could just make a rectangle with a material named "portal". When loading the level in your program, you check the material and create a portal instead of a visible polygon. Alternatively, you can write a pre-processing tool that does this.

Thanx for the answer , i had the idea of material naming for portals...

You've understood my goal isn't to redevelop my own modelling tool for level editing cause it's a huge task and it will kill my time...

Nevertheless what do you think guys about the Map file format from Valve , it seems to be nice to me cause you can use Quark for interior editing...and properties are expandable so we can easily write a shader property but i can't figure out how to make this property to export correctly in the .map file...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!