• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
klompa

i have 2 question

This topic is 4150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi i am making racing game and facing these 2 problem right now 1. Dynaimc cube map: taking render target after every nth frame for each face and updating face of cube map camera is there any other way of doing this. I am getting samll frame rate drop. 2. Motion blur. I want motion blur for object near the camera like NFS i have done this using inverted DOF but here i am getting big frame rate drop can any one have better idea how i can achieve this. Basically this is my main concern boz here i m getting frame rate drop of about 10-20. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
It's difficult to gauge how serious your quoted performance hits are. If you're experiencing a 10 frame/s drop from a maximum of 15, then something's surely amiss. Conversely, if the frame-rate is dropping from 490 to 480, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. For this reason, it is a good idea to quote overall performance (and its changes) in seconds/frame, or equivalent units.

Anyway, your method for cube-map rendering sounds perfect. There's not much you can do to improve on this. I imagine your motion blur is fine too. Any post-processing effect comes with a fillrate hit (and that's usually where it hurts most). The whole situation is relative anyway: if the motion-blur is ruining the gameplay, then it needs to be simplified/optimised/dropped, but if you're getting hung up on a difference that will only be detectable by the number in the corner of the screen, then you'd do well to direct your concerns elsewhere.

Admiral

In case you're not already doing this; since you can't see that much details in your car reflections ussually, I would suggest you keep the cubeMap render process simple. Don't use a too big resolution, and don't use special effects on the surroundings. Just simple texturing. You could also skip small objects, or maybe even only use a color on certain objects/surroundings. The contrast in the reflections is ussually pretty high, and since you're driving fast most of the time in race-games, small details might not be nessesary in your reflections.

As for the DOF, I think you have to live with the drop. I implemented it as well, and had a dropping of ~15 FPS. I can make it a little bit simpler by taking less samples for the blur, but that also depends on the way how you have implemented DOF. If you are peeling the depth by rendering the scene where pixel colors represent the distance from the camera, you could do that on a smaller resolution as well. That kind of tricks might make it a little bit faster.

greetings,
Rick

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!