• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
alec sats

should i go back to directx???

This topic is 4251 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, look, so I had some knowledge in d3d and dinput before, but it was too hard, so i switched to sdl. I made a simple pong game with sdl, but then I hated it because it was too low featured, so now I want to switch back to d3d. I'm ready for that hard labor again, but I don't know if I want to do it or not. I'm just wondering if it's really worth the learning, like if there's a lot of features to it and all. Also, would anyone know a good place to learn directx??? -alec sats

Advertisement
i recomend finding a copy of this book

"Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX.9.0"

it doesnt really matter which API you take up really, it all teaches you the same practises which are generally transferable (if you learn the math etc as well as using API shortcuts e.g matrix functions).

id recomend the above book as it progressively gives you a nice framework of code which you will be able to expand on to quickly get a 3d app going so you can experement with things

Quote:
Original post by alec sats
I'm just wondering if it's really worth the learning, like if there's a lot of features to it and all. Also, would anyone know a good place to learn directx???

Check out the Forum FAQ and go to the "Links to other resources". There are a lot of tutorial sites there that will walk you through the most basic steps (and show you some more advanced things, too).

I recommend against getting one of those "Learn Game Programming with D3D blah blah blah" books because they get outdated so quickly. Plus, you can find resources that are just as good for free.

I would normally agree with you (God knows I've read many awful books), but Frank Luna's Intro to DirectX book is hands-down one of the best API books I own. He's just released a second edition, too.

"Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct X 9.0c: A Shader Approach" (bit of a mouthful, non?) is a good bet.

It's nice tracking down specifics on the net, but IMO you can't beat a good (and concise) book to condense all of the good stuff into an easy reference.

I would say that if you have the cash to buy a book, then pick a book, otherwise the internet is a resource with a wealth of knowledge. Not to mention the DirectX SDK documentation (unmanaged) which contains just about everything that you will ever need.

Start from scratch and try to work through the SDK samples and follow in the SDK documentation what each function does and how you could utilize it to your own benefit.

Then you can take on a project such as pong, tetris or a simple mario clone.

Enjoy,

Kind Regards
Pieter

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!