• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BushidoMH

Database Admin VS Game Programmer...

This topic is 4141 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I'm a 23 yr. old Senior in college, and I'm about to graduate with Bachelors of Science in Computer Science degree. Well, right now I'm extremely torn between what I should do with the rest of my life... to be frank, I got into college for the SOLE REASON of being a video game programmer, as I've grown up with that stuff and love it. However, lately I've been thinking about being a Database Administrator... the work is high-profile, high-demand, with longterm job security, and much higher pay... :/ I want to follow my dreams and do game programming, but I hear the market's really volatile and the pay ain't so great (like $30k). So, I've come to you in hopes of alleviating some of my confusion. Does anybody know what I should do at this point?? I only have work experience in databases, and none in game programming. This is an important decision for me to make, because these two professions require different skillsets... and I have to concentrate on just one. Maybe I just need the right motivation? Thanks a lot, Jon

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by BushidoMH
I've been thinking about being a Database Administrator... the work is high-profile, high-demand, with longterm job security, and much higher pay... :/ I want to follow my dreams and do game programming, but I hear the market's really volatile and the pay ain't so great (like $30k)....
Jon

Hi Jon,
If the Database thing sounds good to you, and those criteria are important to you, maybe that's the best way to go. But no, the thing you heard about game programmer pay is dead wrong. Google "game developer salary survey" to get the real figures.
Tom

I got a job at Microsoft, moved to Seattle, got paid a lot of money, had really interesting programming projects and worked with really smart people, etc. Then I quit and moved to Iowa to work for $10k and free rooming in order to be a teacher.

It just depends on your priorities. I don't claim any virtue in turning away money to do what I wanted to do (teach) - I am lucky enough to be in a situation in which I have to choose between a lot of money and just enough money to get by doing what I love, which is a really, really good choice to have - I just wasn't happy doing the programming thing.

The thing is, you don't have to make this decision yet. If you're talented enough to be a game developer and talented enough to be a DB admin, just pick whichever one your parents or your girlfriend or your friend or whomever says you seem like you like the most right now, and then reevaluate every six months.

Good luck~

It all depends what you want out of life really. The Gaming industry is notorious for underpaying and overworking people because so many people want to work in the games industry. Where as contract DBAs espically ones that have oracle experince make obscene amounts of money. So, if its money you want be a DBA and if work at and gain the right skills set and in 5 years time you could be earning over $1000 a day.

If you love games and want to be working on games mainly for your love of games. Then try and get into the industry.

Ultimatly my advice is find a job you would be happy doing with people you are going to enjoy coming to work with.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!