• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kajjait

d3dxmesh / x file rendering problem

This topic is 4331 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to render a .x file in my engine and there is a problem that i cant seem to nail down. when i render the mesh and it goes through the rendering pipeline the result is an all black mesh. i ran it through PIX and it seems like all of my diffuse values are 0 which i suspect is the problem. whats confusing the hell out of me is that the materials diffuse is not 0, its actually 0.8. i have no idea whats going on, is there some other diffuse value that the D3DXMesh could be grabbing? if anyone has any information or suggestions please let me know! here are some debugging screenshots PIX Screenshot material values Black model rendering here is all my x model loading / rendering code
#include "XModel.h"

bool CXModel::LoadData(ILoad * pLoadData)
{
	if (!static_cast<CXLoadModel *>(pLoadData)->m_szFileName)
		return false;

//buffer for loading materials
	LPD3DXBUFFER	pMatBuffer;
	D3DXMATERIAL	*pMatPtr;

HRESULT res;
	res = D3DXLoadMeshFromX(static_cast<CXLoadModel *>(pLoadData)->m_szFileName, D3DXMESH_MANAGED, GEAR_RENDER_DEVICE, 0,
		&pMatBuffer, 0, &m_nNumMaterials, &m_pMesh);

if (res == S_OK)
	{
		//get material pointer
		pMatPtr = (D3DXMATERIAL *)pMatBuffer->GetBufferPointer();

//create material array
		m_pMaterials = new D3DMATERIAL9[m_nNumMaterials];
		//create tex array
		m_ppTexArray = new LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9[m_nNumMaterials];

//fill out material array
		for (DWORD i = 0; i < m_nNumMaterials; i++)
		{
			m_pMaterials = pMatPtr.MatD3D;	
			m_pMaterials.Ambient = m_pMaterials.Diffuse;

m_ppTexArray = 0;
			if (pMatPtr.pTextureFilename)
				D3DXCreateTextureFromFile(GEAR_RENDER_DEVICE, pMatPtr.pTextureFilename, &m_ppTexArray);

}

pMatBuffer->Release();

return true;
	}
	else
		return false;
}

void CXModel::ReleaseData()
{
	m_pMesh->Release();
	{
		if (m_ppTexArray)
			m_ppTexArray->Release();
	}
	delete[] m_ppTexArray;
	delete[] m_pMaterials;
}

void CXModel::Draw(CAppearance *pAppearance)
{
	int stage = 0;
	{
		GEAR_RENDER_DEVICE->SetMaterial(&m_pMaterials);
		GEAR_RENDER_DEVICE->SetTexture(0, m_ppTexArray);
		//pAppearance->BindData(0, stage);
		m_pMesh->DrawSubset(i);

}
}

Advertisement
Try to use some default material to see if thats definetely where the problem lies. For example this is a part of my code
[source lang ="cpp"]
for(unsigned int i = 0 ; i < num_mat ; i++)
{

// The default mat being a single shaded material

arr_mesh_materials = default_mat9;
arr_mesh_materials.Ambient = arr_mesh_materials.Diffuse;

//other code
}

If this works than the mesh will be any color that you specify in the default_mat.

I think I also had a similar problem except my models used to be all white, that might be an exporting issue from whichever modeler you used. I used Maya, and I had a hard time of exporting any other material than the standard lambert. Also, does your model show up correctly in the DxViewer?

ok i figured out the problem... its that damn maya exporter! my friend just sent me an x file and it loaded right up, textured and all! the only problem is that i dont know what im doing wrong with this exporter. the exporter im using is the one that comes with the DX SDK. you mentioned you had problems getting it to work right? what did you do to fix them? oh and also the model that is "broken" works perfectly fine in the DX model viewer, which is what caused me to believe my problem was code related, and not the actual model >:|

Have you tried to print out the material diffuse values of your friends model?
Are they too in 0..1 range?
I guess it is just an option in the exporter how it would interpret color values either in byte range ( 0...255 ) or in floating point range (0...1).

I am not familiar with d3d and did not look at your code. It's just the first thing that came to my mind.

H.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!