Marvelous Twilight (A manic Shooter)

Started by
3 comments, last by relsoft 17 years, 2 months ago
Our own entry to the Shmup-Dev Autofire Shooter Compo. A 2 player manic-shooter in the likes of Strikers 1945, Dodon Patchi and a cute-em-up from the likes of Parodius and Harmful Park. Gameplay: This game uses an original RFG system. (R)apid (F)ire (G)rowth. This system does not rely on power-ups that you can get by killing enemies. Instead you power up your fire power by continously pressing the fire key. The RFG meter will slowly go up when you press the fire button. As the meter levels up, your fire power will increase. Stop firing and your meter goes back to zero. Once you RFG meter reaches level 6, the RFG gauge will blink and your character will fire either the wave beam (Rhemi) or the Homing missiles(Teija). Having a full RFG meter would allow you to fire your special shots: Rhemi: "Jelly deflector". This acts as a shield and stops the enemies' bullets. It also deflects bullets to the enemies and damages them 3 times the original bullet energy. This also acts as a score multiplier. Teija: "Borken laser". This is a fast homing laser that damages enemies continously until the enemy dies or the laser looses energy. Also acts as a score multiplier. Destroys all active bullets on screen at an instant for defensive purposes. Here's the project page along with a download (Source included) Marvelous Twilight Screens: Boss 1 Boss 2 level 1 level 2 As an alternate download...(This is a newer version because I have gone over my FTP limit. :*( Marvelous Twilight Enjoy!!! Controls: Player 1 (Princess Rhemi) =========================================================== Keyboard: WASD,G,H,J Control pad 1: Up, Down, Left, Right, Button 1, Button 2, and Button 3 Player 2 (Princess Teija) =========================================================== Keyboard: ARROWS, numpad "/"."*","+" Control pad 2: Up, Down, Left, Right, Button 1, Button 2, and Button 3 =========================================================== First extend at 8000000pts. Second extend at 20000000pts. and then every 40000000pts. =========================================================== Note: Press [1] (for Princess Rhemi) or [2] (for Princess Teija) at anytime during gameplay to add a player.
Hi.
Advertisement
Great artwork and sound - but very frustrating gameplay. I'm not saying that because it's a manic shooter (I love them), I'm saying that because my bullets are travelling upwards half the time. In a manic shooter you have a very limited window of opportunity to sneak through the sea of bullets and take your shot. When you finally find that window only to find your own bullets are shooting vertically, it really takes away from the fun.

Great effort though. A couple of tweaks and I think you'd have a fantastic game.
Thanks for the feedback.

What do you mean by your bullets travelling upwards half the time?

Also you can use the special attacks. It's too manic because with the special attacks (reflect shiels and borken laser) the game would be very easy.

When your gauge is full you can use the reflect shield not only to dodge bullets but as an attack weapon as well, the borken laser is a homing laser that destroys all active bullets on screen the instant you use it.
Hi.
Apparently I'm just a noob, heh. I had no idea you could change the configuration of your "cannons" from that default wave pattern (that shoots horizontal then vertical) into a forward firing configuration. I assumed that was the "autofire" part of the "autofire competition".

Perhaps the forward firing should be the default option? It'd help out noobs like me. ;)

Great job!

EDIT:
Wow, I'm a huge goober. It's like playing a completely different game now. Phenomenal work! Are you going to go retail with it eventually?
Cool! Yeah, it's part of the autofire stuff. I think setting the forward options as the default is a nice idea. We had no time to finish the game so it's not as polished as we intended. We will continue the development of the game after the compo results are known(about 2 weeks from now).

As for going retail, I don't think it will. We started it as free and opensourced and it would stay that way. I doubt if anyone would buy it anyways. ;*)

For updates you could check my site from time to time.

Marvelous Twilight

BTW, here's vid on how to "quick kill" the first boss. No miss.

">you tube video
Hi.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement