Games that split your head

Started by
26 comments, last by Wai 17 years, 1 month ago
Ever tried playing Player1 and Player2 in a console racing game by yourself? The way I remembered, it wasn't possible because there were too many bottoms to control one car with a single hand. I was looking at this: [ Flash ] Let's pick cherries In the beginning, if you click on the blue kid, it brings you to a two player mode, where [WASD] controls the blue one, and [arrows] control the red one. You can control both at the same time. Do you know of any game that trains one to split like that (so instead of controlling movement with one hand and targeting on the other hand, you are either controlling two movement or two targeting mechanisms at the same time) ? [Edited by - Wai on March 12, 2007 4:42:33 AM]
Advertisement
Ikaragua in 2-player mode is pretty crazy.
">Video
Pikachugame is another game simple enough to control both players yourself. I only do this when i am really bored though ;)

You can find it here together with some other nice old games.

//Emil
Emil Jonssonvild
The best games to play as both players are light gun games like house of the dead.
I once played DDR on two player mode, controlling player 1 with the dance mat and contoling player 2 with a standard controller I was holding. Needless to say, I failed.
Perhaps it is more motivating if it is the intension of the game for you to control two players. There are several challenges in controlling two controllable units. It gets hard when the two units do not:

1) share/shoot at the same target
2) move in unison or in symmetry
3) have the same movement speed or have different modes of movement
4) reacting to asymmetric events

If I were to train a player in attaining the double play skill, what should be the order of the training?

1) moving in unison control in a static environment
2) moving in symmetric control
3) moving in a mixed unison and symmetric control
4) mixed movements
5) reacting to a moving target that is either on the left or on the right
6) reacting to two mobile targets on both sides but the two move in unison/symmetry
7) reacting to two mobile targets with separate movements
I got a platinum medal for the shooting-range game in Wii Play today -- I mention this because the console sends you a note about recieving medals in Wii Play and in this instance the note suggested I next try playing with two controllers at once. I havn't tried it yet, but I think it would fit into the type of gameplay you're considering.

- Jason Astle-Adams

DOAX

You can control the movement of both players (main and team-mate) with the pad and analog controler. As for the commands, blocking with the ligth-block tells the team-mate to send the ball back so the main can do a spike, and blocking with the strong-block tells the team-mate to perform the spike.

Not really head splitting, but I think it's a good example :P
[ Flash ]

Controls:

[ WASD ] = girl's movements
[ PL;' ] = guy's movement
[ space ] = skip intro/pause/unpause/restart

To pick up the pig with the girl, hold [A] and [D] at the pig. To pick up the pig with the guy, hold [L] and [']. (You can't put down the pig once you picked it up.) The objective is to jump on the clouds to bring the pig home.

How would you rate the difficulty?

1 = very easy to control
5 = very hard to control

Which character do you use to carry the pig? And are you left-handed or right-handed?
There's a PS2 game called Kuri Kuri Mix (or Cookies n Cream depending on territory) that does this.

The screen is split, with each character restricted to their own vertical half, though the scrolling affects both halves. The usual format of the levels is that one character has to reach a switch to affect the other character's progression. The exception is during boss fights, where both characters are in the same area.

The pad is split in half, with the intention that one player can play as both characters, but it's incredibly difficult to play like that since enemies tend to sneak up on the character you're not currently concentrating on.
--http://mainlyaboutgames.blogspot.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement