• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
danne89

None-violent MMO ideas

This topic is 4233 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everybody! I'm a sort of typical pacifist, who believes some fictional violence are acceptable. However, I would prefer if there where games suitable for younger children, I am talking about people under the age of 7, where they can train their social skills in the same extent as todays hack and slash MMORPGs. Do you get my point here? I'm not entirely against fictional violence, but I would much rather see games, and in particular MMOs, based on other underlying premesis. And today I havent met anybody who can give me a good game design for a MMO, which isnt entirely based on grinding.

Advertisement
Grinding is a 'good' game design for an MMO. Perhaps not from certain players' perspective. The design goal is to make a player to stay paying to playing a game for a long time. I think MMOs can be classified by the social moral that it promotes. In a grind-based MMORPG, the social moral is "commitment brings respect" (i.e., if you want respect, go grind. Noob).

To design an MMO for 7 seven yearolds, I would think from this direction:

1) Why do I want them playing MMOs? (i.e. how much time do you want these 7 yearolds playing it? what do you want them to learn? why not teach them to make cookies, and stuffs?)

2) What social moral do you want to present through the MMO environment?

3) How is the environment moderated? It is moderated?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, it's not totally peaceful MMO, but this thread discusses a semi-peaceful cooperative MMORTS concept.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sorry, didn't realize that unregistered posters can't do HTML. Here's the link: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=420301

I like the idea of a nonviolent MMO, but I think people under the age of 7 should be playing outside, or have gymnastic lessons or something, not playing MMOs.

Here's an idea brought to fruition. PeaceMaker is a video game simulation of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict: a tool that can be used to promote dialog and understanding among Israelis, Palestinians and interested people around the world.

I agree with sunandshadow regarding mmos for children under 7.

I think what is needed is a simple central mechanic or set of mechanics which can be reused in many different forms. If you want to push for a social aspect for the game, then the mechanic set should focus on social interaction and related areas.

Something that struck me recently as being an interesting idea was the auction mini-game in Zelda WindWaker. You control Link (although as far as I can work out not having played previous games the character is actually not Link, but is a child immitating Link, or something!!). Other auction participants make bids over a set time limit for an item, if you wish to make a bid you must rapidly tap a button. Once you reach the top of a progress bar you can make a bid. If you bid sufficiently higher than anyone else, you can stun them and stop them from making bids for a time, but obviously you lose more currency this way.

Now I;m not saying we should make an auction minigame based MMO, but that the idea would fit in very nicely in such a game.

I think due to the scope and scale of an MMO, we would need to have some highly reusable mechanic (some grind factor) or risk having to provide endless original content, which would be costly and inefficient. So something along these lines where a very basic mechanic can be taken and easily reused in different forms to provide different stealth educational value would do wonders. Perhaps something themed on Aesop's Fables might be a good point to start at, promoting simple moral values and whatnot, or maybe that is a little too simplistic for 7 year olds, I'm not sure!!

Anyhoo, I hope that provides some food for thought!

Cheers,

Steve

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!