• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Smissie

[web] Firefox DirectX support ready

This topic is 4136 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've finished my work on the Firefox side of our plugin technology which allows fullscreen DirectX from within a webpage. I would like to ask some people who use Firefox to give this a test. Some nice games are in development with a new lightweighted 3d engine which can deliver games that are below 5mb in size. One of them is a nice version of the popular Mahjong game: EDIT: forgot the link :) here it is Thanks!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by johnhattan
Cool technology. Worked well over here. You planning to license the plugin?

I've released that mahjongg game on smissie.com today :) There have been some problems, I want it to run on every gfx card. Some cards, mostly those found in older laptops, don't even have hardware vertex processing so it was really a challenge to make it run on every pc with a decent framerate.

Licensing the plugin is a good idea but is not something I planned for the near future. The mechanics are quite simple, an activex control extracts a zip file which contains a DLL. When extracted, the activex control activates the DLL and waits until it's finished to extract the score and post it back (securely) to the server. This method is quite simple but it has grown complex if you want to have a good performance over 90% of the current systems. You can see this technology evolve in 2 directions. One is a competitor for flash, the other is a competitor for steam ( delivering 3d content/games through an online distribution system )

I'm currently moving along the path of being a flash competitor as all my competitors in the skill games market are using this technology (or Java) in their online games. Therefore the game experience in this market is quite monotomous and there is room for improvement.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!