• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
akira32

The shading of PS2 game okami

This topic is 4327 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There is a PS2 game called 大神(okami). How to reach the effect of "traditional Chinese painting" by shader or other techniques? Someone could explain the algorithm of the effect? Game official sebsite http://www.o-kami.jp/ The o-kami video in "you tube"

Advertisement
This is definately something I've been wondering about myself. Although I'm no expert I do know that shader type operations are very limited on PS2 which makes the results even more remarkable. Clearly Clover Studios must have spent alot of time experimenting with the hardware.

The silhouette edge of the dog is draw by the pen of "traditional Chinese painting". (Please see the third video, the dog will stand statically)
If the silhouette edge is used by texturing, which algorithm does the game use?
Is the algorithm called "texture animation"?

No need to sound sarcastic. You said shading, so I looked at the shading, not the silhouette.
Also, the third video is too blurry to make out any detail, but there are TONS of ways to do silhouettes in different NPR ways. One simple way would be to just extrude screenaligned quads from the silhouette edges and texture those, another one would be to render simplified geometry scaled up a bit and using stenciling to avoid overwriting.
Just search for NPR rendering. Look in the ShaderX books for some examples of pencil, charcoal, and other kinds.

I have this game. The characters use cell shading but the environment uses a different technique, best described by example...

Imagine you have a box that you want to draw. What they do is they first draw the "black border" version of the box by expanding the box outward along its vertex normals, and reversing the culling so that only backfaces are drawn. The expanded box is then drawn with just a solid black color. After that, the box is drawn normally using cartoony looking textures.

This produces an imperfect looking outline, but it's good enough for games. If you really get up close and move the camera around, you can clearly see the object doesn't have a real outline, and that it's a black "shell" drawn in the way I have just described. Still, the technique is fast and easy to implement.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!