MMORPG: Fantsay genre VS Future genre. What you will play?

Started by
8 comments, last by Nathan Baum 17 years, 2 months ago
Hello everyone. Whats up? I wanted to ask you about MMORPG games: Me and my team want to create a game, MMORPG, but we dont know what genre to choose? Fantasy: like Ultima Online, a game that happens at fantasy world actually not based on real things, game with fantasy characters like Elfs, Dwarfs, Mages etc. The main Weapon is swords, bows, daggers. Monsters to kill: Orcs, dragons etc. Future World: The world as i see it at year ~2500. Characters: humans, robots, cyborgs. Main weapon: ultra guns and rifels. Monsters to kill: zombies, mutants, cyborgs, robots etc. This is the two genres i need to choose between. What game you will play?

I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code.

Advertisement
Well the first thing I would advise is not to make an MMORPG if there is another game type that will fit your universe or story better. However, since it doesn't appear that you have a story, premise, or world in mind already this strategy probably won't work. It seems you work opposite of how I do so it's difficult to give you advice on the subject.

I usually come up with a fictional universe (fantasy or sci-fi) and story first, then think of what game type would be best suited to let the player experience it. I rarely have a game-type in mind then try to decide on the genre, world, characters, story, etc. afterward.

However, as a blind taste test on the subject I happen to prefer sci-fi to fantasy slightly more, but only if done right. Usually, I try to avoid reading books, watching movies, or playing games that are based on Earth's future unless they are presented very well. This is simply do to the fact that as soon as you relate your story to Earth and its history your hands are instantly tied in a lot of respects. It drastically limits what is possible in your story's future and it makes the story lose any timeless quality it could have possessed.

Take Back to the Future II for example. By the year 2015, which is only eight years away now, it will lose any plausibility it may have originally maintained with the audience. The Terminator movies are another great example of movies that are going to eventually become obsolete. I for one don't want to be watching a movie that's supposed to be taking place now, but portrays the world as being enslaved by a distant alien race. It'd be difficult for me to suspend disbelief. This doesn't mean that it can't be done, it's just much more difficult and requires a significant amount of thought.

Now, if your story takes place in the year 2500 your not going to have this issue too much, but I would still prefer a fictional universe that is detached from the existence we know that includes Earth. Events in Star Wars for example are completely independent of Earth's history so the universe had tremendous freedom in what could be done.

Fantasy could be great too, but don’t create another Tolkien based clone. Introduce new characters, races, lore, etc. There’s already thousands of indie teams attempting to make these types of games and competition is fierce. Unless you have a unique skill advantage, piece of technology, or a brilliantly original twist to the genre I would not suggest going this route. I love fantasy games, but I only have time for maybe 1 or 2 a year. If only indie teams realized that most players feel the same.
I would prefer futuristic because the market is saturated with fantasy. I want to play something a little more unique. But if it's going to be one of those futuristic MMOs where you stand still and fire automatically at creatures, forget it. I wouldn't want to play it at all.
Ok Ill tell you my decision if someone car or want to know :While the forum was closed i thought a lot about the genre of the game and i decided to do a fantasy, in spite of sci-fi has more place for imagination cause there is a small amount of game from this genre.
Why fantasy? Because this genre is more close to me, my favorite movie is Lord of the rings, favorite book os Dragon lance etc. Ill do a big research before ill start to do my game cause i want to do it unique as much as ill will be able to do it.
Thanks to you two guys for presenting your opinion.

Quote:Original post by SantaClaws
I would prefer futuristic because the market is saturated with fantasy. I want to play something a little more unique. But if it's going to be one of those futuristic MMOs where you stand still and fire automatically at creatures, forget it. I wouldn't want to play it at all.

While I also lean the same way, as long as I can afford it (both $$ and time) I keep one of each open. CoH comes first, though.
Justin RioGame-maker/player hobby
Sorry to say, but I wouldn't play either of them. They both sound as generic as possible. Have you considered getting a writer to invent an original world for you?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You mean story writer?
Yes i have a writer who gonna to write story.

I have to agree with S&S, neither setting you've described has particularly piqued my interest.

"Fantasy" and "Sci fi" are such broad genres when you think about it; so why does everyone insist on interpreting them as "elves, goblins and dwarves" and "robots, spaceships and laser guns" respectively?

Of course, if your motivation for the project is a learning exercise, then by all means make the setting as generic as you like; so long as the game is interesting enough to you and your team to keep you motivated it doesn't matter.

However, yet another generic fantasy MMORPG will have a hard job drawing players away from the 938493 other generic fantasy MMORPGs out there, and you can pretty much rule out *ever* making any money out of the project. So if your intention is to establish a player base - even a non-subscribing player base - then I would try and do something a bit more interesting.
I'd play anything that had "Fallout" or "StarCraft" in it. I'm a mindless consumer automaton when it comes to those franchises.
With regards to fantasy games, I'll play pretty much anything that isn't wantonly stupid. I don't find stereotypical creatures/classes/equipment offensive, although including a good selection of under-represented elements will pique my attention.

If you base your creatures upon actual myths and legends rather than only the archetypes established since Tolkien, I'll be particularly impressed. If I can distract an attacking vampire by sprinkling grains of rice on the floor, that'll have me telling everyone about your game.

With futuristic games, I have stricter demands. Specifically, I want a futuristic game to be set in a feasibly possible future of the Universe I currently inhabit. As such, I don't want psychics or zombies, and I don't want mutants with superpowers. If it's very far in the future, I want to know why the human race hasn't converted the entire mass of the Solar System into a computer and uploaded themselves into it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement