• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NcatDesigner

2D GUI over 3D

This topic is 4328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello people! I'm learning a lot these days thank to your cooperation, and a hope to return all this help someday in some way. Anyone has found a way to put a 2D GUI over a 3D world??? For what I have understood OpenGl renderizes every frame as a matrix, in my opinion may exist some way to render the GUI over the 3D world, may be putting the GUI at last "layer" of the matrix?? I don't know if I'm saying something impossible. I'd like to put text, and some kind of controls (buttons, textLabels, etc...) over the 3d world... Thank you all and sorry for my bad writting

Advertisement
It's pretty common. The usual method is to change the projection matrix to an orthographic one which puts everything at the "front" of the Z-buffer. If you need Z-buffering in the GUI, you can also clear the Z-buffer mid-frame before drawing the GUI.

Also, moved to For Beginners.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!