• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ehsan2004

floating point textures

This topic is 4148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I wan to use floating point textures. But I don't know what image format support floating point components. As an example, each component of the TGA image consist of 8 bits, each PNG component consist of 16 bits. I have not found any image type that support 32 bits per component. -Ehsan-

Advertisement
I'm using floating point Tiff's to store FP textures in. Perhaps not the simplest to start of with though....

I'm also wondering why I should use floating point textures while a computer monitor can only display 8 bits of information per channel.
-Ehsan-

I took a quick look at OpenEXR. Assume that I want too create an image in Photoshop and save it as an OpenEXR image. Unfortunately, Photoshop doesn't support 32 bit channel. Also, when working in 16 bits, many features of the Photoshop doesn't work. How can we generate OpenEXR images when Photoshop isn't compatible with floating point textures?
-Ehsan-

On the OpenEXR website they have a download link to a photoshop plugin.

Also, 16 bits per channel is more than enough for the next 5 years or so. 32 bits per channel is supported in hardware, but it is SLLLLOOOOWWWWWW.......

One could use 32bpp image for storing one 32bit float channel (RED), another 32bpp image for another 32bit float channel (GREEN) etc., or interleave float channels into 4 sequental 32bpp pixels.

So, one 32bit float texture MxN will be represented as a sequence of four images MxN in the first case, and as a 4MxN image in the second case. Those images can be stored in any 32bpp image file format.

I have downloaded that plugin. I guess that I can not use from all the photoshop capabilities when I set the image to 16 bits/channel. Isn't it?
-Ehsan-

You could try using CinePaint.

It can be used for photo editing. From their site:

"CinePaint is fundamentally different from other painting tools because it handles high fidelity image formats such as Kodak Cineon, SMPTE DPX, and ILM-NVIDIA OpenEXR. To do that properly requires a 32-bit per channel color engine core so that data isn't crushed into 8-bit color channels. The CinePaint core is 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit as needed. It's different from GraphicsMagick which also supports different color depths but only as a compile-time switch. (GraphicsMagick has better support for film industry file formats than ImageMagick.)
"

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!