• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SumeragiSubaru

General difference in performance between DirectX and DelphiX

This topic is 4319 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have some experience with DX Components in Delphi(DelphiX, Asphyre) But I have problems with, in my oppinion, very low framerate in rendering in Asphyre. Is here any "guru" who could tell me how many times is DirectX faster in 2D and basic 3D rendering than DelphiX or Asphyre for Borland Delphi?? Or how many 2D pictures can I render in my PC in DX when I have this configuration: AMD Athlon64 4200+ 1,5GB RAM ATI radeon 1600Pro(512MB) and I need frame rate about 60 or 75 fps and pictures are 128*128px or 256*256px could anyone estimate this?? thanks a lot of any answer:)

Advertisement
I'm not really sure what it is you're trying to get at.

With the hardware specified, you shouldn't have any problem drawing fullscreen, 60-75 times per second. There are several ways to do it, some might work better than others.

I can't say I know any DelphiX, or anything of the sort, but unless something went horribly wrong with it, it shouldn't be limiting your performance. If you're not doing anything wrong, it would likely be the API, the Driver, or the GPU itself that are limiting your speeds, and not the Language or the Wrapper you use.

If you're getting very bad performance, perhaps the techniques you are using are incorrect, or are not the best solution in your case. If this is indeed the problem, switching to Unmanaged DirectX would likely do absolutely nothing to your rendering speed.

Try identifying what it is exactly that is limiting your speeds. Start by commenting most of your code and leaving your application "empty", and then start uncommenting sections and see how it affects your performance. Once you identify what it is exactly that's slowing you down, you (and we) will be in a better position to recommend possible solutions.

Hope this helps.

well but I don't belive that if I wrote same programs in Asphyre and DirectX which would contain only necessary code, nothing more that both programs will have the same performance.. e.g. all programs should draw 1000 textures(128x128) in simple 2D in 60fps on the identical machines..

And I don't belive that DX code will take same piece of CPU performance.
I think that DX will be more accelerated then Asphyre and if will be faster than Asphyre. but I don't know how much.. And this is the point..How much is DX faster than DelphiX or Asphyre if we have this simple laboratory test..

I don't know if you understand what I need but in spite of it
thanks o lot

Quote:
Original post by SumeragiSubaru
No one knows answer to my question???
No, it would appear they don't.

There is the occasional question about DelphiX, but these forums are fast moving and it is probably safe to say there aren't many people who have much experience about the technologies you refer to. Or, if they do, they're keeping quiet about it [smile]

More specifically - your question would be very hard to answer under any circumstances. Performance, especially "is X faster than Y" in the context of 3D graphics is an almost pointless question as it depends on so many factors and can wildly vary. Most experienced developers such as myself and sirob would shy away from giving any concrete numbers for the simple reason that we're as likely to be correct by guessing a random number!

I would suggest you consult the DelphiX/Asphyre creators for more information - presumably its a layer on top of the core runtime, so you'll lose some performance. But experience with MDX has shown that this doesn't necessarily cause any problems for performance...

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!