• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vlh256

WMV with VFW ???

This topic is 4149 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Firstly, excuse my english... I would like to know if it's possible to read WMV files with VFW ? I currently use VFW to open *.AVI files : AVIStreamOpenFromFile, AVIStreamGetFrameOpen, AVIStreamGetFrame and so on... I need each frame, cos' I put it in a texture before to display it in a specific mesh in my app. It works well, but to avoid any license problem, I really would like to use VMW format. But, if I try to open a wmv file with these same functions, the AVIStreamOpenFromFile call fail. Will I have to use DirectShow ? Will I have problems to get each frame with WMV ? I use DShow for fullscreen, and I remember (but not well) that I tried it for this case before too : With SampleGrabber, etc. But I was not sure about compatibility above DX7, so i abandoned it. Have someone already read WMV files with VFW and can enlighten me about it ? Thanks a lot in advance. 'Vincent

Advertisement
VFW doesn't work with WMV files. If you want an AVI-like API for WMV files, you'll want the Windows Media Format SDK. Look around on http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia and it's in there somewhere. It presents a pretty broad API but to do the basics is almost as easy as the AVI/VFW APIs.

Good luck,
Geoff

Thank you Geoff.
I have to say that I'd rather a directshow solution, just because I have already some code with it, but if this sdk is as simple as VFW API...
However, I don't know why, but today I have a lot of dead links when I try to get the sdk from the Microsoft website.
I Will retry...

About licensing, if someone know, will i have to subscribe somewhere, even if I just want to read wmv in a videogame ? It appears to me that's wmv is free for applications which not encode any datas. But, is a license agreement required just for reading ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!