• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sereal_killa

Modding Half-Life

This topic is 4241 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I wanna create a "close cousin" to Halo 2 (but with many differences) and so I was told Half-Life 2 modding would be the best way to go. The thing is, I don't know which game to choose from. There's a bunch of Half-Life's and was wondering which one is the best to choose from.

Advertisement
Once you buy Half-Life 2 off of Steam, you can download all of the mod-creation tools for free. It doesn't really matter which flavor of Half-Life you download.

I started a thread a while back asking how to go about modding games. I got sidetracked on another project, and sort of abandoned it, but here is the link to my original post about HL2 modding. You might be able to glean some useful stuff from it.

How Do I Start Modding Games?

Good luck with your efforts. Modding a game is a great way to "start big" in game programming.

David Thompson

There's quite some information available for both Half-Life and Half-Life 2, though it's sometimes a bit scattered across various sites. Keep in mind that Half-Life is 7 years old, and it's popularity is shrinking. On the other hand, while Half-Life 2 is a lot more powerfull, it also takes a longer development process, generally speaking.

Anyway, it depends on what you're aiming for, what you're capable of and how much time you're willing to invest in it. And of course, if you want your mod to be played or not. ;)

I would also recommend checking out the Garry's Mod extension to the game. It gives you the ability to do modding for Half-Life 2 using Lua scripts. This can be nice as you can get a start at prototyping without having to get your hands dirty with the C++ SDK.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!