Multiplayer: directplay??

Started by
2 comments, last by scippie 17 years, 2 months ago
Hi, We are creating a space game and we want to add a multiplayer feature. Now, in the early days, I have created a small multiplayer game with directplay, but these days, I have the feeling that noone uses it anymore. Is this thought wrong? Or is it just not that good anymore? Is it better to write your own client/server architecture (not that that is a problem for me by the way) or does directplay solve a lot of problems like lagging and stuff like that? In short: DirectPlay? Or own multiplayer system? D.
Advertisement
DirectPlay has been unsupported by MS for years now. Even MS recommends to not use it.

This really is the age old question, 'Do I want to re-invest the wheel, or use someone else's?'

And I will give the age old answer [grin], 'Make your own network library if you want to gain the experience of creating a network library; use someone else's if you want to complete a task like making a game'.

RakNet is my favorite of the C++ networking libs, although there are several choices, RakNet is the most feature filled out of any of the free ones. It's right up there in features with TorqueNL; however torque has a 350$ price tag last I checked (and RakNet has superior documentation compared to TNL, again last I checked).
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
The Forum FAQ has a list of several libraries you can check out.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Ok, I had a feeling this would be your answer!
Thanks for the info!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement