• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RSL Flyff

I think i want to quit game programming???

This topic is 4147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

well, should i??? well, here's the thing. I want to make games, but I don't have the patience, or the skill, and I will definitely not be able to compete with any other of those large games on the market. I wanna quit, but I don't think that I should just give up immediately. however, if i do quit, then i will do software programming, but still, i like game programming, but here are reasons why i don't want to do it: takes months to make something, and it's still so small can take years to make an mmorpg, and people will probably still not play it can't make graphics, want good ones too don't know any advanced math, only algebra 1, lol i am only 14, i'm not that very logical can't make sound, at least not very good ones... too slow internet (like 450k dsl) for networking and servers directx is too complicated can't make 3d models opengl takes too much code, don't got patience for it sdl is easier to learn, but i have proved it unreliable, and therefore it sucks win32 is too complicated, and i don't want to get involved into that kind of stuff so should i quit or not??? i just want to know what's best for me i want to do game programming, but not if it's not going to benefit me in the future, or if i will just be a horrible one

Advertisement
You're young and it sounds like you're not particularly intelligent. Concentrate on math and programming, and then think about game programming again when you're 18 or so and (hopefully) smarter and better at the fundamentals.

I think the question is do you want to make games, or do you want to make successful, popular, commercial-quality games.

If it's the former, just practice until you get it - it's not *that* hard. You just have to increase your skill - and code base incrementally.

If it's the latter, than maybe you should focus on using higher level stuff like making mods.

BTW: How did you prove SDL unreliable? I've never had problems with it.

Quote:
don't know any advanced math, only algebra 1, lol
i am only 14, i'm not that very logical

These are not things which should matter at all. Using your age as an excuse just shows your immaturity, I bet there are plenty of 14 year olds here. Of course math may be a problem, but if you really like game programming then you probably also like maths and you don't mind learning some math on the side.

Quote:
sdl is easier to learn, but i have proved it unreliable, and therefore it sucks

Where have you proved that? Most people who master DirectX, OpenGL and Win32 find SDL quite reliable.

Quote:
takes months to make something, and it's still so small
can take years to make an mmorpg, and people will probably still not play it

And? You want to make games, not publish them.

Quote:
directx is too complicated
opengl takes too much code, don't got patience for it
win32 is too complicated, and i don't want to get involved into that kind of stuff

Isn't that what is fun? Getting a challenge?

Quote:
can't make graphics, want good ones too
can't make sound, at least not very good ones...
can't make 3d models

You could learn to if you want to, but if you aim to create a decent game you'll have to get a decent team anyway.

Quote:
too slow internet (like 450k dsl) for networking and servers

What does that have to do with anything? If you plan to provide servers for your finished games then you better make a profit and you can use that to pay for the servers.

Quote:
so should i quit or not???

I don't like to say so, but maybe. Why are you doing it? If you don't enjoy the development, or at least gets paid to do it, then you will never find the motivation to finish anything decent. You shouldn't try to do game programming because you like games and fiddling with new ideas for MMORPGs, but because you like the actual programming. If you enjoy the actual development, then no way, don't quit unless you're forced to.

Quote:
however, if i do quit, then i will do software programming,

Do you expect this to be more fun? You may be surprised to find that it's almost like game development. You're going to use just as complex APIs, work on just as big projects and don't have any more chance of creating a popular product.

I think you really need to ask yourself why you do this.

I guess this is just something you should decide by yourself. I decided I would be a game developer when I was 13 after toying with the idea for about 2 years. I love video games and computer games so much, and the thought they could be really made by someone had such an impression on me. And still has. At the time I was not good at Maths, all I could do was write somewhat better than the average schoolgirl. But then being a game developer became my dream, so I directed my efforts in becoming good at what a game developer should be good at. Now I study Computer Engineering and am still fighting to get where I want. Because that´s how the world works, you know?
So think a lot if that´s what you really want, and be well aware of all you have to do to 'get there'.

Best regards,
Carol

You don't seem motivated at all. Motivation and patience, that's two things you will need in order to learn programming. The beginning may be extremely hard but it will rewarding eventually, when you are able to make something that actually may be of use. I've been coding for about a month and i still don't know much at all, and i get frustrated easily beacuse it feels like i don't make any progress , but i haven't quit yet beacuse i have the will to master the language(C++ that is). You are only 14, so if you want to be a game developer, start practicing now and you may get a good job early in your life.

Be thankful you caught the programming bug early. I had already left school before it hit me big time. Played with ZX81/Spectrum briefly but nothing much came of it except the memory I may well have been one of the few girls in 1981 even programming on a computer, however antique they sound now.

But I digress. If I had known then what I have found out in the last few years of hobby programming I would have boosted my Maths and Physics schooling to aid me in my programming.

So I would suggest the following:

1. Concentrate on enhancing your schooling for Maths/Physics heck even Literature may help. After all those games you will eventually make will need storylines.

2. Learn to program something simple. My first program was a pacman type game. Never got completed though as the power went before I had a chance to save the 300 line basic program. *sigh*. My first complete game though was a Draughts/Checkers game written in DOS Turbo C++ that allowed you to do things a normal chess game wouldn't let you do. Save the current setup and start a new one. The computer and me had quite a bit of fun seeing who could win the most :D I'd also do little programs that would help me do certain other hobbies better.

3. DirectX looked complicated to me at first so I went to OpenGL and walked through the first 20 tutorials on nehe. Once I'd got that far I went back to the DirectX Tutorials on the MSDN Library and realised I understood what it was trying to do but in a different way. So don't totally give up but shift to a site with a really good set of basic tutorials and work through them slowly until you understand them enough to try changing things to do things in a different way. And then go from there.

You may end up in 5 years that you have the building blocks to several utilities or modules to help build that game you are inkling to make :D

Sounds to me that you are giving up before you begin. I don't see how you can 'quit' something, before you have actually managed to get anywhere with it. As the others have said; you're only 14 -- give yourself time to pick things up and see how you like it. It does sound like you have neither the patience nor motivation to keep going -- but then, words are words.

If you don't want to program games or do some other kind of gamedev, ask yourself the question of what you would do in its place?

~Shiny

It's always hard in the beginning. I think I started doing games around where you are. I went through several bursts of programming motivation through the years (I'm 19 now) but at the moment I'm working on a game. If you hit a lull you might want to consider taking a break. I'm not saying quit, just go on a hiatus. After a break of about a year or two a few years back I got back into game programming (college graduation in ~2 years.. so my motivation is filling my portfolio to get a job). Anyway.. yeah.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!