• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Swattkidd

Headed on the right path?

This topic is 4317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok well i am still in high school and i really like to program, its what i do mostly in my free time, alongside with soccer. I program a lot in Java, game development, and just anything i can think of because i am just learning. I want to go to college, take programming, comp sci, and Business classes, but i was wondering, am i wasting my time? I mean even if you say i am, i will still do it because i like to but is planning to work for a company in Game dev a bad idea? like is that a fall back for programmers or something? or is that a successful career. I know you guys are going to say that if you like it, money doesnt matter, but im just wondering, being a programmer for a company like one that created GoW, is that a successful career? will you be able to live nicely with a paycheck coming from there, or will you live paycheck to paycheck? i do understand that it depends on your living situation and how high you are in the company...but idk...im just asking some random questions.

Advertisement
It's an unstable and difficult career path to get started in. Well, it -can- be unstable. Lots of game companies are started and flounder every day. If you work for a larger game studio then you're probably going to do a bit better for job security, but even then the market fluctuates and people are laid off every time new consoles are shipped and the market plunges... And then of course there is ramp up which means lots of people are hired and then many are then fired again after the project is done.

However, that said, if you are good and dedicated you can do very well...

Competition is fierce, you have to be good, very good. And then you have to be good with people and easy to get along with and you have to meet deadlines. But if you have the mettle, it's a great job to have. You won't be bored.

Work hard, finish school, build a good portfolio, and make the connections.

Typically it pays very well.

hi there

some good questions!

i don't think you're wasting your time at all. working in game development can be a very rewarding occuption, if you have a passion for it. if you don't, then it will be just another job.

And admittedly, the paycheck is lower than if (for example, i'm in the UK) you were writing software for a merchant bank. However it is certainly comfortable living.

Going to college and getting a relevant qualification is a great idea, as at the end of the day there is a massive difference between knowing how to use c or c++ (for example) and actually knowing how to code well. college should certainly help you with the latter (not saying you can't do it without college though!)

hope this helps

J.

Hey guys thanks a lot for those replies, I just dont want to work really hard, go to college, and then realize everything i was working for was to get a job that just "gets me by" thats what i have been worried about for quite a while. Im not saying i dont like game development and programming, but its the point as whether or not i should pursue it as a career.

Also by taking business classes and comp sci classes, i could branch out into man well paying fields right?
and maybe even if i get good enough and learn the business, start my own :)

but yea my main concern is to work hard, study, go to college to get an "average" job in which i have to "cancel the vacation this year because we have no money" kind of thing..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!