Nebulae

Started by
5 comments, last by ViLiO 17 years, 2 months ago
Hello guys, currently I am trying to create a Nebulae like some nice looking Nebulaes we meet in various space screensavers(and games like STAR TREK:LEGACY). The problem is that I dont even know how to start making one. Can I create it without using GLSL? How? Any ideas? [Edited by - Lord_Vader on February 13, 2007 7:03:30 PM]
Advertisement
Sure, why not? You need to think, though, about exactly what you want to show. GLSL doesn't have a drawNebula() intrinsic, any more than OpenGL has glDrawNebula(). The onus is on you to figure out what precisely needs to go on the screen in order for that something to look like what you think a nebula should look like. Does it animate at all? When you texture it, what should the texture consist of? How is it lit? How does it change depending on the viewing angle, and will the viewing angle significantly change?

BTW, the singular is "nebula" and the plural is "nebulae".
Hmmm,yes, the main problem is how to create this fractal like shape of the Nebula. Should I make a texture or something else? How can I create the variations in color and how to create the lighting? Of course it wont depend of the viewing angle.
I have seen some spectacular Nebula graphics out there.How do they do it?
Quote:Original post by Lord_Vader
How do they do it?

Short answer: lots of art school.

The long answer would involve you learning the technology and/or art skills necessary to create one. Sure you could paint one in photoshop and use it as a texture, you could also likely create one with some procedural code and use the result as a texture, you could also create some particle effect that looks like a nebula. As with anything artistic there are hundreds of ways to do it. The question is which skillset do you possess more of and/or which approach sounds more interesting? Pick one or the other and then spend a few months learning the necessary skills.

I know my answer sounds trite, but the "spectacular" versions that you see are created by people with _years_ of training in their respective discipline.

-me
Quote:Original post by Palidine

I know my answer sounds trite, but the "spectacular" versions that you see are created by people with _years_ of training in their respective discipline.

-me

Yes I agree in some extet with that.
Point is that the during the past few months that I am learning OpenGL,the 60% of the code of the engine(and I have made some nice looking graphics) that I have created is by modifying and ebodying the code from various sources from the internet(why bother creating something from
the beggining when it is out there and waiting for you? :-) ).And this saved me an enornous ammount of time.

So I posted this message because someone might have made something or point me to a tutorial or something...
By the way I googled but I didnt find anything usefull.

You're on the right track that you need a texture. Which means an image of a nebulae.

What you're asking isn't really a technical question, it's an art question. i.e. how do i paint a realistic looking human, etc. You could rip the image from some NASA pictures or find some on the web. Creating your own nebulae is just going to require artistic creativity and skill.

-me
You could maybe get some ideas from some of Ysaneya's older journal entries

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement