About Windows Vista

Started by
18 comments, last by ShadowWolf 17 years, 2 months ago
For the last 6 months I have been programming an MMORPG on my Windows XP. And I had a question. With vista out now people can still play a game made in xp on there vista correct? The graphics just wont not be as good right? Thanks for your time, Al
Advertisement
Quote:The graphics just wont not be as good right?

The graphics will be exactly the same!! Assuming your graphics card [hardware] hasn't changed, there is no reason in the world a different OS will make the graphics of your game look any different.

Vista supports some new features, but you have to target those specifically if you want your game to use them.

Commonly used graphics libraries/APIs that worked on Windows XP also work fine on Windows Vista.

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

So vista can run .exe's, dll's ect?
Quote:Original post by alscott333

Yes. The vast majority of what runs on Windows XP runs fine (and better in a handful of cases) on Vista. The only exception is applications that rely on things which are hugely outdated (e.g. Windows 3.1 APIs) or have known security vulnrabilities - you might have trouble getting some really old (i.e. >12 years old) things to run.

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Thanks a lot!
I wouldn't expect all your games to run a-ok on Vista since it's based on win2003 server and I know I've had problems with certain games and intalling them on win2003 in the past.

It'd be nice if Microsoft would tell us what games have problems with Vista since they sound like they know but ain't telling!
"Chris Donahue, manager of Microsoft’s Games for Windows group, says the company has tested 1,000 popular games from the past five years. Most work well with Vista, he said, declining to elaborate how many had problems and why."
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by S1CA
Quote:Original post by alscott333

Yes. The vast majority of what runs on Windows XP runs fine (and better in a handful of cases) on Vista. The only exception is applications that rely on things which are hugely outdated (e.g. Windows 3.1 APIs) or have known security vulnrabilities - you might have trouble getting some really old (i.e. >12 years old) things to run.
I've been able to run SimTower and Civilization 1 on Vista x86. Both are Windows 3.1 games :D

there are a lot of win9x games that only work via "application compatibility toolbox" under XP... I sould be pleasantly surprised if those games work without major hitching under Vista... one issue, though not entrilty Vista's fault is that older DirectX than 9 is kind of spotty... and a fair number of older games use directX before 9.... one game that stands out for me was Xwing-alliance where under new video cards (ok, not really new, like GeForce3 and up) did not display its fonts correctly _because_ the detials of implenting direct3d v8 or less were kind of spottingly done by nVidia... never mind the fact that it is not easy to get it to run under XP sometimes.... nad the spotting implementation is because direct3d v8 or less is kind of not paid attention too... I have a fair number of games that I do like to play and enjoy which are from the Win9x era, which I have to coax to run in XP (only a very few can't/won't run) or maybe I haved passed from being a gamer to being an old fart that says "in my day, games were good"
Close this Gamedev account, I have outgrown Gamedev.
I couldn't get Alpha Centurai to work in vista, even in compatability mode :(
----------Little known fact: Tsylatac is Catalyst backwards :).
Quote:Original post by Tsylatac
I couldn't get Alpha Centurai to work in vista, even in compatability mode :(
I happen to have Alpha Centauri; I can try when I get home. What issues did you have? I had a couple graphics-related issues in my games (Alice in particular) that were fixed with the latest ATI drivers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement