About Windows Vista

Started by
18 comments, last by ShadowWolf 17 years, 2 months ago
In theory it's supposed to run fine and look the same. In practice a lot of XP games and apps are running like crap on Vista:

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/12/2212248

-me
Advertisement
Right now, the biggest problem is drivers on Vista. I'm running Vista and the only game I had trouble with was Baldurs Gate 2, which ran perfectly once I ran it full screen. In terms of performance though, the NVidia drivers for Vista are crap right now, but the ATI drivers aren't bad. Performance on Vista is more of a driver issue than anything else.
Quote:Original post by TimMisiak
Right now, the biggest problem is drivers on Vista. I'm running Vista and the only game I had trouble with was Baldurs Gate 2, which ran perfectly once I ran it full screen. In terms of performance though, the NVidia drivers for Vista are crap right now, but the ATI drivers aren't bad. Performance on Vista is more of a driver issue than anything else.

Indeed. In my experience, the currently beta NVIDIA drivers are much better than the official drivers in the OS/windows update. Every game I've tried has run fine.
Quote:Original post by mutex
Quote:Original post by Tsylatac
I couldn't get Alpha Centurai to work in vista, even in compatability mode :(
I happen to have Alpha Centauri; I can try when I get home. What issues did you have? I had a couple graphics-related issues in my games (Alice in particular) that were fixed with the latest ATI drivers.

Thanks for the offer, but I've reinstalled XP since I can't stand other aspects of vista :). As far as I remember it just came up with a black screen when I ran it - using the stock vista graphics drivers on an nVidia 6800 GT.
----------Little known fact: Tsylatac is Catalyst backwards :).
Quote:Original post by mutex
I couldn't get Alpha Centurai to work in vista, even in compatability mode :(
I happen to have Alpha Centauri; I can try when I get home. What issues did you have? I had a couple graphics-related issues in my games (Alice in particular) that were fixed with the latest ATI drivers.

Thanks for the offer, but I've reinstalled XP since I can't stand other aspects of vista :). As far as I remember it just came up with a black screen when I ran it - using the stock vista graphics drivers on an nVidia 6800 GT.
I installed and started a game without problems, so I'm guessing it's your drivers. I have an ATI Radeon 98000 Pro with the latest ATI drivers. Out of curiosity, what aspects of Vista bothered you?

I suspect it was the drivers, OpenGL support sped up when I installed nvidia's proper ones.

As for why I switched back, well, although the aero interface is very nicely done (and props to microsoft for it mostly not getting in the way), switching between programs I found to be very slow - especially where it involved turning aero on and off. In XP I get near instantaneous switching, which I suppose I should expect, you don't get something for nothing, so that's just personal preference. I disagree ideologically with the DRM stuff they claim to have put in (though I admit I haven't looked into that in great detail) and I just think it's too unstable to be used as a primary OS at the moment: it kept losing track of my DVD drive and I had an automatic update to my TV capture card drivers that BSoD'd me whenever I tried to run them. Also, I found that its handling of a local Program Files directory for each user (which is a pretty neat idea) didn't fit with half of the programs that I installed - half the files would end up in the common program files directory and half the other, which is a pain if multiple accounts want to run the same game, for example. I could have perhaps have solved this problem by running the install programs as administrator but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle. I may go back to it once it's matured a bit and people have begun to program for its filesystem model, but I'd have to look into precisely what DRM stuff is going on before I did that.

Incidentally, I was running the Business edition, which I have a free key for from MSDNAA through my university - I really don't want to pay any money for Vista just for the sake of having a new operating system when I personally own a copy of XP.
I suspect it was the drivers, OpenGL support sped up when I installed nvidia's proper ones.

As for why I switched back, well, although the aero interface is very nicely done (and props to microsoft for it mostly not getting in the way), switching between programs I found to be very slow - especially where it involved turning aero on and off. In XP I get near instantaneous switching, which I suppose I should expect, you don't get something for nothing, so that's just personal preference. I disagree ideologically with the DRM stuff they claim to have put in (though I admit I haven't looked into that in great detail) and I just think it's too unstable to be used as a primary OS at the moment: it kept losing track of my DVD drive and I had an automatic update to my TV capture card drivers that BSoD'd me whenever I tried to run them. Also, I found that its handling of a local Program Files directory for each user (which is a pretty neat idea) didn't fit with half of the programs that I installed - half the files would end up in the common program files directory and half the other, which is a pain if multiple accounts want to run the same game, for example. I could have perhaps have solved this problem by running the install programs as administrator but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle. I may go back to it once it's matured a bit and people have begun to program for its filesystem model, but I'd have to look into precisely what DRM stuff is going on before I did that.

Incidentally, I was running the Business edition, which I have a free key for from MSDNAA through my university - I really don't want to pay any money for Vista just for the sake of having a new operating system when I personally own a copy of XP.

What score did you get on the Vista Experience test or what not? I get really fast task switching. (Also on MSDNAA Business.) I really love the sleep feature. But, it's true, driver support is beta. Things work fine for me, though for other people it's iffy so I hear.

I run as administrator, though...
I had a score of 4.2 (the processor was the least, I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200+). I suspect the slow switching was caused by me running fairly intensive fullscreen games that caused aero to turn bits of itself off. Still, the same combination (from UT2004->x-chat being an example) works fine and very fast in XP. I never tried with the aero interface turned off, but to be honest aero was the reason I was using vista for so long in the first place :).
I had a score of 4.2 (the processor was the least, I have an AMD Athlon 64 3200+). I suspect the slow switching was caused by me running fairly intensive fullscreen games that caused aero to turn bits of itself off. Still, the same combination (from UT2004->x-chat being an example) works fine and very fast in XP. I never tried with the aero interface turned off, but to be honest aero was the reason I was using vista for so long in the first place :).

Ohhoho, I don't play games anymore, so I wouldn't know :) I have a 4.2 score too, same CPU. ;)
As a tip, one thing I've noticed helps is setting your games to run in Windowed mode, maximized.

I set a few games to this, noticed at most a drop of 1 - 2 FPS and everything works great.

Seamless task switching plus the preview window makes for great gameplay - especially for MMORPGs and Game Development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement