• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Silvo

Eclipse & MinGW on flash drive

This topic is 4238 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

G'day! I recently bought myself a flash drive with enough space for me to install a C++ IDE & compiler. the trouble is, to make the IDE "portable", it would need to be self contained (by that I mean, no registry editing). The Eclipse IDE does not have an install process, which is a good sign, and it is very simple to copy MinGW over once I have installed it on my HD. The trouble is, when I tested it at school, when I pressed Compile it said that the administrator has disabled registry editing. Then, it found the "make" program, but that tried to call g++, but could not find it. g++ definitely exists in the same directory as mingw32-make, and the only step in the setup of Eclipse, CDT (the C++ plug-in) and MinGW was the addition of the bin directory for MinGW (which contains the compilers) to the system environment path, as I do not have access to that on the school computers. Is there a way that can fix this? Alternatively, do you know of any other IDEs/compilers for C++ that could be run off a flash drive? Thanks!

Advertisement
my personal favorite IDE is Code::Blocks. I use the nightly builds, which apparently work on a flash drive if you move one file.
so if you decide to use Code::Blocks, you would install the folder 'codeblocks'(or whatever you decide to name it) into your preferred directory in the flash drive, and then you want to run Code::Blocks once to have it generate your config files. after that, copy the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\codeblocks\default.conf' to the folder containing 'codeblocks.exe'. From that point forward, Code::Blocks will run off the thumb drive.

On my computer, my codeblocks folder is around 32 megs, and my MingW folder is 73.8, so using these two together would require a flash drive of at least 128 megs, but seeing as how I'm one of the few people who will actually go out and buy a flash drive of 64 megs(or more like a 3 pack), you should be good to go.

hope that helps, and if you need any more help, don't hesitate to PM me.
-Wynter Woods(aka Zerotri)

Hmm, if what you are saying is true, then I believe that I should be able to get eclipse to work, too. I was using Code::Blocks at one point, and so I know that its compiler is MinGW as well. The thing is, my trouble seems to be with MinGW and not Eclipse. If I tell Eclipse the specific location of mingw32-make (the makefile maker) then it can run it no trouble. But make calls g++, and I'm pretty sure it expects an environment path so that it can find g++... but then again, once I removed the environment path to mingw from my computer at home, it still found it fine, somehow. It seems to come apart once I press compile, then it needs to edit the registry for something, but it is not allowed to do so.

I will try to get eclipse to work, but if not, I will put code blocks on to see how that goes. Could you please send me a link to a page that discusses this?

thanks

Here is the page.
also, I think that code::blocks runs each of the programs on it's own, and therefore eliminates the need for environment variables...but then again, I could be entirely wrong about that.
hopefully all goes well,
-Wynter Woods(aka Zerotri)

Thanks a lot, but I've stuffed my flash drive (that's what happens when you buy things from Hong Kong off Ebay very cheaply).

I still think this whole scenario is odd, but I suppose it doesn't really matter now.

Thanks again.

[Edited by - Silvo on February 16, 2007 6:41:19 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!