Blending Question

Started by
1 comment, last by pseudosig 17 years, 2 months ago
I have a 32 bit image with varying alpha values and I want to use it as transparent texture. Now I know I can use the... glEnable(GL_BLEND); glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA,GL_ONE); ...blending functions for "any" texture (alphas set or not). I'm wondering if there's a way to take advantage of the alpha values set in the image without having to use a blending function? I want to do this since I can pick regions in my texture that are more opaque or transparent. Thanks in advance, pseudosig
Advertisement
Having more or less opaque regions in a texture to render correctly you need blending functions. You can however skip pixels below a specific threshold (using alpha test) and render the rest without blending (fully opaque).

Blending means you get a single color of two or more input colors by using a blending equation/function. This can use colors for the blend weights or alpha. You can't however render transparent (blended) objects without blending.
If I was helpful, feel free to rate me up ;)If I wasn't and you feel to rate me down, please let me know why!
Thanks. One more thing then, I currently have an array of texture coordinates...

(Code snip)
glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, 0, m_surf_normals);

// my triangle vertices...
glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, 0,m_vert_ary);
glTexCoordPointer(2, GL_FLOAT, 0, m_tex_cords);
glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLES, 0, m_triangle_count*3);

Each texture coord is applied to a triangle. How can I vary the transparency of each triangle when using gl*Pointer functions?

Thanks again,
pseudosig

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement