What OS should I learn C++ on?

Started by
41 comments, last by Crazyfool 17 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Promit
Knowing the command line is important because VS is a relatively crude front end to a very powerful backend build system. Modifying .proj files by hand, writing them from scratch, knowing how to invoke compilers...all of that is important and useful practical knowledge.

I whole heartedly agree with this statement. If I were to learn C/C++ from scratch all over again, I would have to say this would be the first thing I would want to do-over. In more recent years command line knowledge has saved my sorry ass more times than I would like to admit.

@OP:
As for the arguments over which platform is better for development, I'm not naming names, but be sure to identify which statements are of opinion and which are tangible facts which can be applied to your situation. You will always be presented with a plethora of (often moot, highly prejudice, excessively opinionated or even simply invalid) reasons to use one platform over another, hence be weary of the salesman.

Try both: I'm sure you have windows, get VC++ 2005 Express Edition and give it a go.. then go out and get Ubuntu (650MB Live installer ISO is free!) get your hands on Eclipse and the CDT plug ins (or any of the other billion options).
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Advertisement
By the way, there are macros for Visual Studio paths. I don't really remember them but I've made use of them myself, such as $(ProjectDir) or something, there are many, look them up, you'll be surprised.
Quote:Original post by Captain Goatse
Quote:Original post by Crazyfool
I love when people make absord claims - Linux has so much better free software for C++? Hardly.

Anyway, whatever you're more comfortable with - and we don't need to get into a OS vs OS.. Linux to me is like the LISP of languages. It can be very awesome, but the majority of people just wont make use of it, and Windows XP is not a bad OS at all. As for OSX, I have no clue, but it is basically a souped up Linux, right?

I love it when people make morons out of themselves on Internet forums with an inane and pointless arguments. Failing to provide any support for your argument and misunderstanding the content of my post on purpose while simultaneously tipping over on a trivial spelling mistake makes your post to fail the assertion and the qualifications of a worthwhile post.

Let me re-iterate: I didn't say Linux is some dreamland of development where everything is great. I merely pointed out that the newest Visual Studio is hardly superior feature-wise to other tools, which is exactly the argument put forward by many people posting on these forums.

And no, OSX has nothing to do with Linux. It's a BSD-variant Unix-like operating system with a Mach kernel.

It wasnt about youi, though I guess my fault for not clarifying - I didnt even see your post when I first made mine.

And what support do I need to say? MVC++ is amazing! I think tons of people have said that already.

Also, if yopu're curious why I said Linux was like the LISP of OS's? Well, I made that analogy because it seems a lot more open to me - I am no expert with it at all. From my understanding it is a LOT easier to modify things and there's tons of GUIs and such that people make that you can use.

I'm sorry if I am a moron, but I really dont see how I made so many claims without backing them?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement