source code

Started by
55 comments, last by sewar711 17 years ago
I SEARCHED for 99 2B C2 8B D0 8B C5 D1 FA 89 54 24 24 99 2B C2 8B 54 24 24 D1 F8 2B C2 50
I found the foloowing string (empiresx.exe version 1.0a)

99 2B C2 8B D0 8B C5 D1 FA 89 54 24 24 99 2B C2 8B 54 24 24 D1 F8 2B C2 50
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
99 2B C2 8B D0 8B C5 D1 FA 89 54 24 10 99 2B C2 8B 54 24 10 D1 F8 2B 8D 4C 01 FF 83 EC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please see the diffrence.. is this diffrence will effect the work.
What did you mean when u said (Edit: Now I see why mental assembly isn't on the curriculum. I've expanded the patch by a byte to remove the redundant PUSH.)

Note: I have the patch file which will patch 1.0b to 1.0a can I send it to u
by e-mail?
Advertisement
I don't see the problem. Only one of those two strings is a match. Have you tried patching it yet? It's possible that it won't work, but there can be no harm in trying.

Quote:What did you mean when u said (Edit: Now I see why mental assembly isn't on the curriculum. I've expanded the patch by a byte to remove the redundant PUSH.)
I missed out a byte at the end of my first proposed patch, resulting in an extra PUSH being executed and the stack getting corrupted. I fixed this a couple of hours later, and left the edit as proof.

The 1.0a patch is all over the web. I'll get to downloading and installing.

Admiral
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
Yes it works on version 1.0 I replaced :
99 2B C2 8B D0 8B C5 D1 FA 89 54 24 24 99 2B C2 8B 54 24 24 D1 F8 2B C2 50
as instructed by you.
and YES the message box moved litle bit below the top title bar.
Unfortunately, it did effect all other boxes like the quit game dialog box (did u notice). It seems like our chatBox is related to other dialog boxes.
Now I played with the (20) and made it 15 and it sure is moved again closer to the top.
To make this easir on me and you . Is it possible to make our chat box totally invisible. If this possible then I would press enter and see nothing on the screen.
the second possibilty is to place the chatBox behind the bottom title bar (if u notice that the bottom title bar is prety wide.)
Again sorry if iam causing any headache. But YOU sure are genius. Believe me nobody got so far with this for the past 3 years of trying just to locate the chatBox!!!
I'm not surprised that other dialogs are affected: we've patched the code responsible for centring a box on screen, not specifically the chat box. Unfortunately, isolating one particular instance of the class will prove to be a pain.

Worse still, it seems that the dialog boxes and panels are rendered in a loop according to some 'UI feature' list. This means that patching out the call that draws the box will be far more difficult.

I thought that simply setting the coordinates to push the box off the screen would do the trick, but I guess this causes a rendering function to fail somewhere down the line, and consequently, the game becomes unresponsive. If you'd prefer, you could set the width and height of the dialog (as per the function prototype I gave) to 1, reducing the dialog's panel to a single pixel (any smaller and we get a divide-by-zero). This isn't great, though, as the text and input-box are still drawn as usual. I doubt it would take much effort to minimise these features in screen space, but entirely removing the dialog would require a different approach.

In realistic terms, this is a dead-end. I'm sure that a few more hours probing would yield some results, but this seems like a hell of a lot of work to rid the user of an annoyingly-placed input box. Is there some bigger picture I'm missing, or do you really go in for aesthetics? [wink]

Admiral
Let me say again I am dolorous to put u through this dilemma. The story u are missing is this : Wayback 3 years ago I was chalanged by friends (whome we play aoe (RoR) together over the LAN at {internet cafe'a} The challenge is if I can remove this dialo chatBox off the screen. Now you know that this dialog box is associated with cheats words like(woodstock, coinage, peperoni pizza...etc)
Therefore the challenge was if I can write these cheating words without using the dialog box and be effective (working).
Now I spent the last 3 years trying to solve this problem with helps of many programers friends and got no where. Untill u came a long.
Anyhow coming back to this DialogBox I found something intersting.
Properties for window 0x0004038E
ItemValue
Class NameEdit
Text
Rectangle-31738, -31710, -31338, -31690
Size400, 20
Client Rectangle0, 0, 400, 20
Client Size400, 20
stylesWS_CHILD
WS_VISIBLE
ES_LEFT
ES_AUTOHSCROLL

stylesExWS_EX_LEFT
WS_EX_LTRREADING
WS_EX_RIGHTSCROLLBAR

ID1

PropertiesAtom: #43288 0xFFFFFFFF (-1)

Class specificnone

Owner EXED:\Copy of RoR\EMPIRESX.EXE
-----------------------------------------------------------------
You see where it says ws_VISIBLE (above) Can this be changed to INVISIBLE.

Regards
Quote:Original post by sewar711

It certainly could, but that won't do you much good as the enitre game would disappear [razz].
The window being described is a Windows window. There is only one such window being used in the game, and it takes up the whole screen. The in-game dialogs are far less tangible in nature, as they are defined by big classes whose definitions we don't have access to.

Just for the record, do you want the chat box to remain fully-functional, but invisble? Or do you want to disable part of it?

Admiral
I think he wants the chat-box to be functional, but invisible.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
I think he wants the chat-box to be functional, but invisible.

Obvious things to try.

Move it off the screen by changing the coordinates.
Set the height and width to make it one pixel by one pixel dialog box.<g>

Quote:Original post by Ralph Trickey
Move it off the screen by changing the coordinates.
Set the height and width to make it one pixel by one pixel dialog box.

Nice try, but I covered both of these in my last post. Pushing it off the screen (even a little bit) causes the game to hang. I presume that a render call fails and the game state becomes undefined.
Setting the box size to a pixel works as far as the panel background is concerned, but you still see the text and the input box.

Admiral
Quote:Original post by TheAdmiral
Quote:Original post by sewar711

Just for the record, do you want the chat box to remain fully-functional, but invisble? Or do you want to disable part of it?

Admiral

We could do one of the one thing : If we can change the command "ENTER"
by another key like (Backspace)or(PageUp)..and this will activate the chat box and be invisible and functional at the same time.
This means that during the game running I will push (PageUp) and type the chat I want and then push (pageUp) again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement