chat application

Started by
3 comments, last by efilnukefesin 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi! I want to create a internet chat application like icq. But i dont want to use a global server. I want that any user has an own server. But a "standart user" maybe dont know how to forwarding ports if the user is behind a rooter. I think it must be possible to connect without a global server and without forwarding ports. Or iam wrong?
Advertisement
hi!

yes that's a difficult question i have also thought of a while ago. with techniques like masquerading etc it is very difficult to work without a global server, maybe impossible, because the sender and the receiver both need a unique identification, this is the ip address.
the problem is that if there is a router somewhere in between, or maybe two (without the ones routing the 'internet traffic'), you may have double ips... for example, your pc has the ip '192.168.2.10' and the sender has the ip '192.168.1.10' and you want to send him a paket, you can't send it just to '192.168.1.10', because this is an ip from a private network, that means about 100.000 other users in the internet behind routers have the same ip.
and you can't easily manage to get the router's ip address, because there is no protocol i know that does something like 'send me your infos, router'... one possibility is to tracert from the client, because the first ip there is always the ip of the router (or of the gateway of the isp if the user doesn't have a router).

to put in in short: it should be more easy to make such a chat prg with a central server or you make a chat prg just which only works in a local lan, e.g. for lan parties.

one question from me, in which language do you program? because there are a bunch of tools for every 'bigger' programing language, like the indy components for delphi, which make things very easy and you just have to care about the communication-stuff (which should be enough work :-))

Hi! I will tell you the whole story: Any time ago i startet to make an 3D internet chat application based on html, &#106avascript, php, mysql and VRML/X3D (Virtual Riality Markup Language) using the cortona plugin whith InternetExplorer. It worked perfect for about 100 Users at same time. But the problem was, that &#106avascript had to sent the actual position and rotation of every user every second to the http server and get the same information from it. But a Webserver and HTTP is to slow to handle this. So users saw other users &#111;n positions that have changed vor about 10 seconds. Thats to slow.<br><br>I think it was the best thing i had ever made. But that was not the &#111;nly problem. The &#106avascript interaction whith the plugin worked &#111;nly whith internetexplorer. And i got mails from users who asked me: "What is InternetExplorer?" or "How can i install the plugin?"<br><br>This chat was great for experts but not for "standart users". So i decided to make my own chat software like icq. The software is at this time about 70% complete. Iam using Microsofts visual c++ with irrlicht library (3d engine) and opentnl(network engine).<br><br>Ok...I now think i need a global server. But where can i find a provider who is not so expensive? And by the way iam not a linux freak. That means i need a windows server.
Self-managed windows servers start around $120/month. You'll get remote desktop into the server with administrator privileges. Check the Forum FAQ for some links to various vendors that have this service.

If $120/month is "too expensive" for you, then you probably need to scale back your goals, and run your own server on your own interenet connection (which will be pretty flaky, from the user's point of view).

Also check out the part about Nat Introucers in the Forum FAQ.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
yeah, that's pretty much money, i'd give dyndns a try!
but you need a server at home for that. so you bandwidth is limited (in most cases VERY limited)...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement