What are the best game dev tools, libraries, platforms, etc?

Started by
10 comments, last by OrangyTang 17 years, 1 month ago
We are going to be starting a new line of 3D and 2D games. This is going to be running on an embedded platform. We will probably go with Windows XP embedded but nothing has been decided yet. As far as tools and libraries, can you provide your suggestions? Where is a good starting point to decide what technologies we should be using? We want some modern technologies that will be applicable for the next few years. Here are some things we are currently evaluating: 1)XNA 2)Flash (may be used for prototyping are for some quick releases but doesn't provide all the desired functionality). 3)Torque Game Builder I realise I didn't provide much data to go on and the question is a bit confused but that is the state I am in right now. Confused. Where do I start? Please provide suggestions or let me know if you need me to clarify anything. Thanks, Dave
Advertisement
.NET Compact Framework has some Managed DirectX features. It's basically a managed layer on top of GAPI.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Thanks for the quick response. Ok. We are doing embedded development but it is for a slot machine. We are going to have a full pc board. The only thing different about our pc board is we will have more serial ports and non-volatile memory than most ordinary pcs. So eventhough it will be embedded we don't necessarily need a small footprint or scaled down software. The board will really only be running the game and nothing else.
Interesting question...

I take it this is a full colour machine like those ones that have a load of quiz-question games?

A lot depends on the exact nature of the games you want to make. While you mentioned '3D', I'm guessing we're not talking about fully-immersive highpowered action games here...

What functionality is missing from Flash?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Yeah, we are talking fully immersive, full color 3D. We want to be able to provide a living, breathing world.
for a slot machine?

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

That's right. I know it is kind of hard to believe. We are trying to keep up with and surpass the competition.
Quote:Original post by shengshwi
We are trying to keep up with and surpass the competition.

Well, you just broke the first rule; keeping it a secret ;)
That really isn't much information for us to go on.

"Best" for what?

Best to get a quick prototype out? Best to pass the gaming commission guidelines? (which you should check out, since different places have restrictions on software libraries) Best for your artists' favorite plug-in to work with? Best for your experienced programmers to easily use? Best for a particular graphics chipset?

Before deciding, you really ought to know several more things such as the hardware that will be in use (XP Embedded is the OS, not the hardware), any limitations on third-party and unverified libraries by the gaming commission, the requirements for the expected technical designs, and the preferences and experiences of your artists and programmers.

If the gaming commission requires statically linked code and libraries or only third-party code from specific vendors, then you obviously must abide by those. Further if they require delivery of the source code for all non-preferred third party libraries, then that is also a concern.

If you artists and programmers are very experienced with using a Flash based UI, then forcing them to use Torque is a bad idea. If your technical designs are using advanced pixel shaders then you can similarly rule out libraries.
Thanks. Those were good questions and things I hadn't even thought of.

As you can probably tell from above, we have no experience with 3D development. So we will probably be using new artists and will be able to pick who suits us. The same goes for the hardware. Nothing has been specified yet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement