Sign in to follow this  
Sria

Visual studio 2005 and Java..

Sria    157
When I put my .java files on my computer that has visual studio 2005 it automatically opens in VS. I can't seem to find out how to compile from visual studio 2005, however. Is this possible?

Billr17    437
Visual Studio 2005 does not support a way to 'truly' compile java in its native form. However, it does feature Visual J# which supposively can compile most java files and allow them to run via the CLR. This in turn would make your java code a native Win32 application which would require the .NET Framework to run. I have never had a reason to use J#, so I can not give you any guidance on what Java code can be easily converted into J# code. With a little trial and error, you should be able to find what works best. (Visual J# 2005 Express Edition is 100% Free and located on MSDN)

However, if your seeking to build a native java application, you will need to download the Java SDK from Sun Microsystems in order to obtain the java compiler. For Java IDE's I recommend checking out JCreator and Eclipse (Both have free versions or are 100% free).

Is this what you where looking for?

- Bill

mikeman    2942
Quote:

This in turn would make your java code a native Win32 application which would require the .NET Framework to run

Unless I'm gettting something wrong, it will not compile it into native code. It will be compiled in portable IL code that would require,as you said, a .NET implementation(such as Microsoft.NET for Windows or Mono for Windows/Linux/Mac/etc) to run.

Billr17    437
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Quote:

This in turn would make your java code a native Win32 application which would require the .NET Framework to run

Unless I'm gettting something wrong, it will not compile it into native code. It will be compiled in portable IL code that would require,as you said, a .NET implementation(such as Microsoft.NET for Windows or Mono for Windows/Linux/Mac/etc) to run.

Native was a bad word for me to use. I meant a Windows program in general. Not native Win32 machine code. I'm not sure the state of J# app compatibilty and the Mono framework. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that J# has a few extra libraries included to aid with the Java code translation. But I could be wrong on that point, since like I previously mentioned, I've never had a reason to use J#.