• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Neonyo

Brand New

This topic is 4126 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Always wanted to create a game, but been to lazy to learn coding so been using game makers and such, but i think it is time to stop being lazy. So I am asking for help, been searching through website, but still does not explain the BASICs of programming to me. So I am curious if anyone has any suggestions on websites, books, ect anything to help me on my Game Design dream :D lol thanks.

Advertisement
There are different types of programming languages (C/C++, Visual Basic, Python,Java.. )

These are useally the most recommended for game development (although others may
disagree here)

I personally recommend starting with C/C++ as C/C++ are industry standard.
(Although some commercial games are moving toward Java for online development)

Heres a nice starting C/C++ tutorial if you are interested..
C++ tutorial

Generally, programming concepts, design, and structure are learned through
experience (and reading) Have you checked the books section?

If you decide to stick with C/C++, note that you will be working in the command prompt for a little while, before you are able to move onto graphics.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Quote:
Original post by Crypter
(Although some commercial games are moving toward Java for online development)

I personnally recommend to NOT starting with neither C nor C++ (not to mention C/C++, which is a fictionous language [smile]).

For the very reason exposed in this thread

* C++ is a very complex language. There are simpler alternatives.
* C++ does not come with much useful libraries. The standard library is restricted to very basic tools.
* C++ is convoluted.
* C++ is frustrating.
* as someone already said, "C allows you to shoot yourself a bullet in the feet. C++ allows to to reuse the bullet". C and C++ are core languages, and in a sense you're doing direct-to-metal programming when using them (C is nothing more but a high level assembly language). It means that you have to manage eveything correctly if you want your software to work. More recent languages are more permissive - for example, C# includes a garbage collector that will automagically close files you are not using anymore or free memory that you don't use. In C++, you have to do this by yourself, meaning that
1) it's a potential source of bugs, and bugs are something a beginner don't want to experience
2) your program is bigger than a program that does the exact same thing using a modern language.

Quote:
Generally, programming concepts, design, and structure are learned through experience (and reading) Have you checked the books section?

The book section should be a mandatory read [smile]

Conclusion: there are good languages out there, and some of them are easier to get than C++. So begin with these instead of trying to fight against the beast. i'm not saying that you won't be able to handle this. I'm saying that if you learn programming using a simpler language, C++ will be easier to learn after that.

Regards,

Quote:
Original post by Crypter
Like Emmanuel, I disagree with the idea that you should choose your first programming language based on the industry standard. C and C++ are both quite complex languages which can be very difficult to learn, and there's no real reason not to start with a language which is more beginner-friendly and then learn C and/or C++ at a later stage if you have the need; especially for someone who's admittedly had difficulties remaining focussed in the past. All that being said, you can start with C or C++ first if you like.

A few languages I would suggest looking into are Python, Phrogram or Blitz Basic. Other options include C# and Java amongst the many other languages to be found out there.

Quote:

This was worded incorrectly (it was kind of late), and I excluded valid reasons
of choosing C++.

Kazgoroth and Emmanuel Deloget mention valid points against learning C++ first.
I personally never found C++ to complex (as a first language), yet it is
true that I still learn new things (As Im sure almost all of us do). This
could be the 'complexity' of the language.

Quote:

What about, Dark Basic, would that be a good 1st?

Dark Basic should work well -- I personally never used it, but hear good
things about it.

Quote:
Original post by Neonyo
What about, Dark Basic, would that be a good 1st?
I've never tried it, but people seem to be able to get some impressive results out of it so I don't see why not.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!