Sign in to follow this  
zolee

WinCE PNA questions

zolee    134
Hello my friends, could someone please tell me, how can I exit the pre-installed navigation app (igo), and get to the shell on my CE.NET 4.2 based MyGuide 3300 PNA? I tried to kill some processes remotely, and also sieved thru registry using eVC remote tools, but couldn't figure out anything useful. Is there a "Run" registry key on CE just like on desktop Windows? another question would be, does anyone know how to get the dimensions of an icon, as the GetIconInfo call is missing on CE? I thought that FindResource() -> LoadResource() -> LockResource() would work in a way that I could get a pointer to the icon data and I could mine the dimensions out from there. (The desktop Windows fxn works this way, or almost this way I reckon) Now the problem is, that FindResource() fails (1814 - the specified resource cannot be found in the image file), while LoadIcon() happily loads the same icon. I'm clueless, maybe FindResource() does not like the same ordinal as LoadIcon(). So how to GetIconInfo() on CE? thankx Zolee

frob    44973
Probably not the way you are thinking of.

The OS can be configured to support specific demands. Although the device might have all the pieces installed that are needed to run as a regular PDA, it is much more likely that those pieces are not on the box.

With that in mind, if you have sufficient OS access on the device through some sort of connection, and if the device has enough component support for it, and if you have the skills and luck needed, then you might be able to make it do what you are trying to do.

zolee    134
Thanks for the tips.
Actually in the meantime I found some good resources on the net on this subject that some folks call "pna unlock" or "shell hack".
There are detailed howtos for popular PNAs, what they all have in common, that the registry key HKLM/init should be modified (the default navi app exe should be removed).
After a soft reset, one might need to use some homemade tools like ShowTaskBar.exe, but still in most cases one can "unlock" the device in 10 minutes.