Any character sketches?

Started by
5 comments, last by sunandshadow 17 years, 1 month ago
I have downloaded blender and am trying to model a character but my idea of a human in my idea translated to virtual reality sucks. I was curious if anyone has any basic front/top/side sketches of a normal human that i could use the image of as the background to model from. I'm just trying to practice my use of the program and ability to be able to model some basic characters so i can play around with them in my application. Thanks
Advertisement
I tell you what, it's Friday, I'm feeling artsy, and fairly benevolent. If no one else gives you resources by noon MST, I'll have sketched up a front/side for you to use (and anyone else for that matter).

Also, FYI, a top-view of a human body is going to be next to useless for modelling purposes :)

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Quote:Original post by BCullisAlso, FYI, a top-view of a human body is going to be next to useless for modelling purposes :)

oh don't lie! thats so you can precisely place that bald spot .
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Thanks BC...if i dont need a top view, thats fine. I lack an artistic talent and am just trying to learn how to model characters that I can use.
The Blueprints has quite a lot of reference sketches for things (including some humans).
3d.sk has reference photos if you're willing to shell out some money (they've got a few free sample images too).

I'd also strongly recommend that you check out Ben Mathis's video tutorials (in fact, read and watch anything and everything you can on this guy's site).

Glen Moyes is very good, too.

(Yet another thing) Don't be afraid to look at wireframe shots of models that you think are good and deliberately copy them - there's a lot of skill involved in just connecting the vertices of your mesh together in the right way to give a good 'flow'; anything you can do to get the look you want is ok, and if you copy from the wireframe of a good mesh, then you'll have a much better base to start from - there will still be plenty of opportunity to make the character unique.
In fact, to get you started, there's a tutorial on the blenderartists.org forum that provides you with an excellent diagram of how to set up the edge loops for a normal human face.

But more is always good, so BCullis if you're still willing I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd find extra sketches useful (I would).

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
This guy old, and not human, but if you feel like using it to practice, no trouble.Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I had done it with softimages ages ago:
Some I have drawn in the past:

anime-style nude male blueprint
hairstyles to accompany this blueprint
anime-style nude female blueprint

Note: these blueprints are copyright free, but I would like to be notified if you use or relist one.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement