Describe your game in 100 words

Started by
19 comments, last by zedz 17 years, 1 month ago
I'll just rip my own review from IGN and blank out enough parts that it will be generic enough.

"The 2007 2008 game of EA's ________ sim, designed with a new development philosophy for driving gameplay and feature innovation. Earn respect and climb the ranks with __________ as you play through ________ and compete against _______. Use the cutting edge Wii controller to ______ like _____. Perfect using the Wii-mote interface for enhanced interaction with the game."

It's only 57 words if you include a single word in each blank.

Sadly it sounds like you could describe ALL the EA Sports games that way. If you remove the last two sentences it could describe pretty much any game out there.
Advertisement
100 words, eh?

You are brought back to the living world by a goblin necromancer as an undead orc general to avenge your death. Battle through the Allied Lands to eliminate the human king and his knights. As your soul recovers, you will gain back your prowess with the blade and acquire new skills in dark magic to aid your quest but as your memories slowly return, you might find that not everything is as you’ve been lead to believe.

Combine blade and magic skills to form unique combos. Discover alternate paths to gain new powers. 2D action platformer to be released never.
Quote:Original post by RivieraKid
Quote:Original post by Obscure
100 words should be far too many. If you can't describe your core concept in a sentence then you don't really know what your game is (or what's special about it).

thats a bit harsh. It could be that I have terrible english abilities and suck at putting my thoughts on paper.

That's not harsh, it's pure fact. That's exactly what I would have said. Don't be stuck under the impression that you have to use all 100 of those words. If you can pull it off in 25-30, or under 50, all the better. You really shouldn't have to embellish

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I only need 2 words and multiple punctuation marks:

f*cking awesome!!!!!!![wink]
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
In space, you fly a space ship and shoot people. Then you take their shit and sell it on the open market to support space capitalism. In space.

Repeat "space" another 72 times.
Lmao

So far weve got 1 good attempt, several comics and people taking jabs at my english skills.

#1 Haha, funny
#2 Too Confusing, what are you going for?
#3 "Text based multiplayer RPG with a persistent world" everything after that tell me nothing
#4 Haha, funny
#5 Haha, funny
#6 Haha, funny
#7 Haha, funny
#8 Good, well done, have a cookie. GameCreator

Mine:
rpg set in the future. You start at a space dock looking for work on a spaceship. You interact with the characters in the area and learn things about your character. There is a Bar and a Shop. You browse the Jobs available on the ships, some jobs are beyond your ability now. You choose a job, meet your crew and are given duties. Duties take the form of mini games. You develope your abilities, get to know the characters, uncover secrets and evil plots and make choices which effect the outcome.
Quote:Original post by Gaiiden
Quote:Original post by Obscure
100 words should be far too many. If you can't describe your core concept in a sentence then you don't really know what your game is (or what's special about it).

thats a bit harsh. It could be that I have terrible english abilities and suck at putting my thoughts on paper.

That's not harsh, it's pure fact. That's exactly what I would have said. Don't be stuck under the impression that you have to use all 100 of those words. If you can pull it off in 25-30, or under 50, all the better. You really shouldn't have to embellish

Indeed. If you can't pitch your game in a single sentence then you'll find it difficult to get publishing deals and you'll have big trouble with marketing. I remember drinking with the head of marketing at a studio once and he asked me to do this for the game I was working on - it can be bloody hard.

Here's my own take on things. Accomplished marketers and producers can feel free to laugh at my ineptitude.

It can help to imagine the heading that this summary would go under. "What's this game about?" or "What do I do in this game?" are the kind of things to pick. And be careful of the difference between something that your game contains and something that your game is about - you probably don't want to describe your player's backstory, for example, unless it really makes up a key part of what players will be actively dealing with whenever they play. The camera mode it uses is likely not important either.

Examples:

"Use stealth and strategy to execute a precision strike against Nazi forces as a sniper in a realistic post-war Berlin."

Sniper Elite is a 'sniper sim,' a third-person shooter actually centered around sniping. Instead of rushing into a situation guns blazing - which would generally get you killed - the game was much more about taking your time, finding a good hidden position, and waiting to line up the perfect shot before getting out without anyone catching you. Shots would have to take things like wind and gravity into account; you could do something like time your shot to coincide with background artillery fire to mask the noise of the shot. Key words used: stealth, strategy, precision, realistic, sniper. The rest is really just padding, though I use it to allude to the setting a little.

"Combine your own athletic strength and combat training with the talents of your fallen comrades to become the ultimate in genetic infantry on a mission of revenge: the Rogue Trooper."

(This was the game the PR Manager challenged me to describe). Rogue's a third-person action platformer. The core mechanic sees you running and gunning, climbing onto the occasional ledge and running from cover to cover, but over the course of the game you also recover the "biochips" - stored consciousnesses - of some of your dead allies that you can use to give you extra powers. For example, when you recover the biochip that you insert into your gun, you gain the ability to place your gun as a turret to take out enemies automatically. This one doesn't distill to key words so easily, but certain phrases imply concepts: "athletic strength" - platforming; "combat training" - shooting and battle tactics. The biochip mechanic is difficult to describe because it so uncommon, but "Combine ... with the talents of your fallen comrades" gets the gist of what's going on across. The rest mostly just alludes to the story - which is, to be fair, quite a large part of the game - and I deliberately mention the name Rogue Trooper, because the game is based on the Rogue Trooper comic strip so that's quite a significant thing.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Mine:
rpg set in the future. You start at a space dock looking for work on a spaceship. You interact with the characters in the area and learn things about your character. There is a Bar and a Shop. You browse the Jobs available on the ships, some jobs are beyond your ability now. You choose a job, meet your crew and are given duties. Duties take the form of mini games. You develope your abilities, get to know the characters, uncover secrets and evil plots and make choices which effect the outcome.

"Develop a career as a spaceship crewmember, picking your ships and jobs, and get drawn into evil plots that only you may be able to avert."

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Hmmm.... this is much harder than I thought. I feel like I just butchered my baby... and my english skills. [smile]

Version 1: Painfully pruned down to under 100 words, but I think I mentioned most of the key features in some crude fashion or another... but not really.

Quote:
"God Among Men": 2D Isometric Action RPG Golf simulator hybrid
You play an incarnation of a deity. When you die, instead of the game ending you simply reincarnate in the the next of seven ages of this world. You see stone age until dystopian future. The world state in each age is determined by what you did in the previous. There are factions, prophecies, nations, families, etc whose interactions with you carry forward. There's a "karma" system that governs the world, and the npcs have personality models. Each play experience is different and chaotic. Apocalypse, multiple endings. Will release, eventually.

Version 2: About 50ish words. Gives a vague notion of setting/theme/gameplay, without being too elaborate for your average reader to digest in one sitting. Is this the kind of thing the marketspeakers would expect?

Quote:
Play the incarnation of a deity in space in a fantasy/sci-fi action-rpg, and reincarnate through the seven ages to interact with a living world where your actions have real consequences and competing factions want you to be their messiah. Determine the fate of the universe in... GOD AMONG MEN!!!! ((I'll finish this one, I swear!))

Quote:Original post by superpig
Mine:

"Develop a career as a spaceship crewmember, picking your ships and jobs, and get drawn into evil plots that only you may be able to avert."

"Become a space contractor, hitting on girls and killing people that deserve to be killed."

You could call it Star Halliburton or Illegal Space Immigrant.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement