This application can't start ....

Started by
4 comments, last by LessBread 17 years, 1 month ago
I compiled and built a project in VS2005 express edition and when trying to run the exe on another machine I got the following message : "This application can't start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem." any ideas ? thx.
There is nothing that can't be solved. Just people that can't solve it. :)
Advertisement
How about 235 ideas? [grin] google: "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."

I don't suppose the other machine is running a 64 bit processor? If so, check out Visual C++ Libraries as Shared Side-by-Side Assemblies
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Hi DesignerX,

I'm taking a wild guess, but I read a previous post you made, asking where the compiled EXE was stored.

I think the reply you got was the DEBUG folder, so I can only imagine the EXE you are trying to run on the other machine is the DEBUG EXE.

Try compiling a release version, and run that ;-)
----------------------------------------Now just hit that link that says 'Rate This User' [wink]
I had that once, and was forced to change IDE untill someone on IRC gave me a linky to microsoft's redistributable package:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

Try installing that, recompile and take the new .exe to the other computer to check it out.
Quote:Original post by LessBread
How about 235 ideas? [grin] google: "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect."

I don't suppose the other machine is running a 64 bit processor? If so, check out Visual C++ Libraries as Shared Side-by-Side Assemblies

I thought thats why we have this forum :).
(Searching google is not that accurate all the times)

Thank you for your ideas .
There is nothing that can't be solved. Just people that can't solve it. :)
Actually, you didn't provide enough information to answer your question. You didn't say whether your project was console or gui, if it used direct x or opengl or some other specialized api. You didn't describe the other machine either. Lastly, the error message that you posted wasn't accurate - I had to plug "application configuration is incorrect" into google to ferret out the actual error message that I could then plug back into google to find more specific results. Looking through those results it became clear to me that more information about the circumstances of your problem were needed in order to solve it. At best the solutions you were going to get here would be educated guesses.

Searching google is plenty accurate if you know what to look for and the way to find out what to look for is to take the time to learn how to identify what you're looking for. In your case, that would mean going through those results skimming over them to see if they described situations similar to your situation and if they do then reading them more closely and if they don't moving on to the next.

From the For Beginners Forum faq: Asking questions

Quote:
#1 Before you post, please think to yourself "did I explore every option in trying to figure this out for myself ", its understood that 5 or 6 hours of continuous programming can give you a mental block but please don't ask questions that you could easily answer yourself with a quick Google search or a skim over the reference section.

See also: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement