Sign in to follow this  
bilsa

[java] Jogl with Applet?

Hey! I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is any big performance difference between running the opengl application as an applet or as a new window? Is it serious enough to make some quake2 clone run smooth? Thx! [Edited by - bilsa on March 2, 2007 11:48:59 AM]

There should be no performance difference between running your application as a Java Web Start application or as an applet. (Note there is a caveat on some systems related to the Talkback agent in Mozilla / Firefox; see the note in the JOGLAppletLauncher javadoc.)

However, I have to admit that we have seen reliability differences between the two deployment options. On Windows, the need to specify -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true for best reliability of Java / OpenGL applications is a stumbling block for applets. Robust termination of the applet and cleaning up of its resources is also an issue. The inability to specify a larger heap size for applets is another issue; OpenGL applications are usually pretty high-end and often require a larger heap size than the default 64 MB. You can change this with Java Web Start, but not right now for applets (without changing the global settings for all applets).

We are working on some of these issues in the core JDK at Sun, but for now my recommendation is to deploy with Java Web Start (as a stand-alone application) unless there is a really compelling reason to deploy in the web browser.