Sign in to follow this  
amarhys

Full rendering on render target texture

amarhys    122
Hello everybody, I am working on a myst-like game and except for 360° panoramic rendering (6 textures applied on a cube), all the game interface is 2D. For 2D I use quad geometries with (XYZRWH|DIFFUSE|TEX1) vertices (they use screen coordinates). At beginning, the game was designed to work at 1024x768 resolution but today, I have to take care of 16:10 formats. I often use the screen coordinates for 2D display and I don't want to update 30% of my graphics engine to support multiple kind of screen formats. Then, I am wondering if the solution is not to use a 1024x768 render target texture (whatever is the screen format) for the whole rendering and at the end, render this target on a quad whose position and size will depend of the screen format (easy to manage for only one quad). Is this a good approach or is there some disadvantages using render target in this case ? Thank you in advance for your answers. Cheers Amarhys

sipickles    240
Why would you want to do this?

Why not just let people choose 1024x800, or whatever widescreen format, then reset your device using this size. You can adjust your projection so the image isn't stretched.

Si

amarhys    122
I want to do that because most of display is 2D display and it is done through vertex buffer of type XYZRWH (vertices use screen coordinates instead of world coordinates). Such vertices are not affected by projection matrix if I am rigth ?

Cheers
Amarhys