Sign in to follow this  
Chamu256

Please Help ! (CgFx)

Hy all I have a big problem with nvidia CgFx. I wrote the following effect file: float4x4 World; float4x4 View; float4x4 Projection; technique Tech { pass p01 { VertexProgram = compile vs_2_0 Red(World,View,Projection); //ever vertex will have red color } //draw wireframed mesh pass p02 { VertexProgram = NULL; ZEnable = false; LightingEnable = false; PolygonMode = Line; } } In the main loop i have something like this: Pass = cgGetFirstPass(technique2); while (Pass) { cgSetPassState(Pass); Box->Draw(RenderSystem); cgResetPassState(Pass); Pass = cgGetNextPass(Pass); } I should see a red box and on top of it a wireframed box.But the only thing i see is a red box. But when i correct the code following way: Pass = cgGetFirstPass(technique2); while (Pass) { cgSetPassState(Pass); Box->Draw(RenderSystem); cgResetPassState(Pass); D3DDevice->SetVertexShader(NULL); Pass = cgGetNextPass(Pass); } Everything works fine. I hope you understand what i mean becasue my english is very bad.

I'm not an expert on cgFX, but I think it's because you aren't using a vertex shader or pixel shader at all. I don't see any code to transform the positions into homogeneous clip space etc... So when you write D3DDevice->SetVertexShader(NULL); you just fall back to the Fixed Function Pipeline and everything renders like normal.

You should try to write a vertex shader that takes the positions of your boxes and transforms them into homogeneous clip space and passes them to the pixel shader.

Example of a basic vertex shader:
struct VertexIn
{
float4 position : POSITION;
float4 color : COLOR;
};

struct VertexOut
{
float4 position : POSITION;
};

VertexOut main(VertexIn In,
uniform float4x4 modelViewProj,
{
VertexOut Out;
Out.position = mul(modelViewProj, In.position);

return Out;
}

Example of a basic pixel shader:
struct FragmentIn
{
float4 pos : POSITION;
};

struct FragmentOut
{
};

FragmentOut main(FragmentIn In)
{
FragmentOut Out;

Out.color = In.color;

return Out;
}

Ofcourse with such a simple effect, you could always keep using the FFP, and everything will be fine. Just one tip: I wouldn't compile this for ShaderModel 2.0, as that would rule out a lot of older cards...

Hope I've been able to help,
Jeroen

I definetely agree with godmodder, implement at least the vertex program and check whether it works, if not implement the fragment program as well, then it should definetely work.

First i would like to thank you for trying to answer my stupid question. I think
you don`t realy understand what i want to say.I didn`t explain it very well.(I`m so stupid :(

So the vertex program called 'Red' does perform the transformation and works, i
tested it. It looks like this:

struct Output {
float4 Pos: POSITION;
float3 Color: COLOR;
};

Output Red(float4 Position: POSITION,
uniform float4x4 World,
uniform float4x4 View,
uniform float4x4 Projection)
{
Output OUT;

float4x4 WorldView = mul(View,World);
float4x4 WorldViewProjection = mul(Projection,WorldView);

OUT.Pos = mul(WorldViewProjection,Position);

OUT.Color = float3(1,0,0);

return OUT;
}

But the problem is that i can`t deactivate it. It seems to me that
VertexProgram = NULL in the second pass has no effect. The vertex shader remains
active. The only why i can deactivate it is D3DDevice->SetVertexShader(NULL).
Can this be a bug in CgFx or there is a problem with me? :(