More DirectX!

Started by
3 comments, last by Crazyfool 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi, this time I dont have a problem (woo) but I wanna know the name of something so I can look it up. I have heard and would imagine having one texture with like 30 tiles on it and then just map out each tilewhen I need to use it would be better and more convenient, but I dont know what that is called. Does anyone know the proper name of it so I can look it up? I have googled quite a bit of terms I thought it could be but all were other things. Thanks :D
Advertisement
Well im not sure that there is a name for it, but there are various methods for building a texture full of other textures.

What are you having a problem doing?

Dave
Well, I am not really have any problems - yet.

I dont even know how to start, thats why I want the name so I can google it then ask questions.

However, I have an idea but Im not sure how I can do this without being messy.

Basically, I have an array of CUSTOMVERTEX arrays (lol) and then I have each one representing a portion of the original texture, i.e., 1 square down, 3 over (I sorta got this figured out, but I'm not sure if I need to do special tricks or if its because floating point error but I get a slight border around each texture displayed)

Anyway, that seems very tedious, slow and wasteful.

Can you suggest a method of doin something like that? What I'm trying to do is make a small map reader where it reads a text file with data corresponding to point and texture then it will render that texture in the right spot.

Thanks
Sounds like you may want to read up on 'Texture atlasing.'

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Oh I think thats exactly what it sounds like!

Thank you good pig!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement