So I bought a new computer...

Started by
19 comments, last by daviangel 17 years, 1 month ago
A while ago, http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=437155, I made a thread posting about which hardware to get. I made my decision, thanks to you guys. Now I have an Intel 2 Core Duo, and all the stuff I need. The problem is, motherboard doesn't seem to be doing anything. I put the processor in, put heatsink and fan on top, plug the fan cable to the "CPU Fan" slot on the mobo. Put one stick of RAM. No harddrive. Nothing else. Just wanted to see if it even booted. It doesn't. Even the CPU fan is not spinning. If I press the power button, I can see the CPU fan starting to spin but then it just dies away and stops. No other beeps are heard. Completely silent except the power fan. There is a green light on the motherboard, and the light is on. The power fan is also on, the only thing spinning. What else could it be? I never encountered something like this before. At least the CPU fan should start to spin, but this one doesn't. Bad mobo?
Advertisement
Something similar happened to me when I built my computer a few years ago. The solution for me was to remove a jumper from the motherboard. It may be worth a shot to look in your motherboard manual for correct jumper positions.
You know what..I think this mobo doesn't support Intel Core 2 Duo. It is LGA775 slot, the same as Pentium 4, but it doesn't say on the manufacturer's website that it supports Intel Core 2 Duo. It doesn't say it doesn't support it either. It just says that it support Pentium 4.

Is it a possiblity?

edit:
Actually, no. That can't be. Could it be a bad processor? Since the fan did receive some power for a second, then mobo detects a bad processor then just stop the power completely...?
Did you (properly) plug in the 24-pin ATX power connected as well as the 4-pin CPU power connector (also possibly 8-pin, not 4)? Did you use thermal paste (or the thermal pad that is pre-applied)?
what mobo is it?
Yes. Everything is connected properly. This is a barebone system. Everything has already connected to it. The manual doesn't go indepth in how to connect these cables, because they are already connected. It doesn't say anything about a specific jumper that I should switch either.

This is the mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856110068

PSU, maybe? I had a problem with my PC where all the fans would come on for a split second and power off, I looked at the wires on the PSU and they had burned out.
Quote:Original post by teh_programerer
PSU, maybe? I had a problem with my PC where all the fans would come on for a split second and power off, I looked at the wires on the PSU and they had burned out.

That could also be a possibility. I am going to ask Newegg to exchange this. I am not sure which ones are broken, mobo, psu, fan, or processor..

So this is a bare-bones system purchased from newegg? If so I'd give 98% odds that all the components are fine. Have you tried reseating that stick of RAM? It should be really, firmly snapped down on both ends with the tabs all the way in lock position. If it's not the PC won't even power on, just as you described. I'd double-check that and also double-check your mobo manual that the type of memory you purchased is compatible.
-david
I sounds like your motherboard might be short-circuiting. This can happen if your mother board is touching your case through a metal connection (ie the screws).

Your motherboard should have come with special screws which don't conduct electricity called "Mounting screws" - make sure you're using these screws to connect your motherboard to your case.
-Az

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement