Sign in to follow this  
3Dgonewild

SDL - FLICKERING!

Hi , im having a problem with SDL library. Each time i move an image sdl flickers. I've set up the video mode like this: 800,600,32,SW_DOUBLEBUF|SDL_FULLSCREEN Also , i've tryed with the following flags : SW_DOUBLEBUF|SW_HWSURFACE|SDL_FULLSCREEN AND: SW_DOUBLEBUF|SW_SWSURFACE|SDL_FULLSCREEN But nothing. Any ideas?!

The following flags won't work at least: SW_DOUBLEBUF|SW_SWSURFACE|SDL_FULLSCREEN because only SW_HWSURFACE is valid with SW_DOUBLEBUF. The other one should work however. If you post the rest of the code then maybe I can help you. I can't tell what's wrong with this information alone.

Without seeing any other code, it'd be hard to tell. However, I did have an issue when I redrew the entire screen everytime a sprite moved. I got a flicker type effect then. If this is how you're handling your sprites, you can try just updating what needs to be redrawn.

For example, if you have a sprite that is 32x32, you would only redraw that 32x32 area anytime it moves instead of redrawing the entire 800x600 screen.

Thanks for the support.

The image is about 200 x 200 ( its a bouncing ball ).

And here's the loop:
(It looks messy , but im just a newbie)

while( quit == false )
{
SDL_Flip( screen );
SDL_FillRect( screen, &screen->clip_rect, SDL_MapRGB( screen->format, 0, 0, 0 ) );
apply_surface( BallX , BallY, _BALL, screen );
fps.start();
BallX+=(int)SpeedX;
BallY+=BallSpeedY;
Bleft=BallX+_BALL->w;
Btop=BallY+_BALL->h;
if ( (Btop>SCREEN_Y))
{
BallSpeedY*=-1;
}
if (Btop<SCREEN_Y)
{
BallSpeedY+=1;
}
while( SDL_PollEvent( &event ) )
{
if( event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN )
{
switch( event.key.keysym.sym )
{
case SDLK_UP: SpeedX+=0.2f; break;
case SDLK_DOWN: SpeedX-=0.2f;break;
// case SDLK_LEFT: break;
// case SDLK_RIGHT: break;
case SDLK_ESCAPE:quit=true; break;
}
}
if( event.type == SDL_QUIT )
{
//Quit
quit = true;
}
}
//FRAMES_PER_SECOND = 20
while( fps.get_ticks() < 1000 / FRAMES_PER_SECOND )
{
// LOCK @ 20 FPS
}
}
SDL_Quit();
return 0;
}

I tested your code and it worked fine for me. There were no flicker at all, but the object is shaking when it moves. This is because you have a frame limit to 20 FPS. Change this to 40 or something higher and the movement should be much smoother than before.

Quote:
Original post by password
I tested your code and it worked fine for me. There were no flicker at all, but the object is shaking when it moves. This is because you have a frame limit to 20 FPS. Change this to 40 or something higher and the movement should be much smoother than before.

Thanks , now its much better.

By the way , do you know any function(in sdl) that allows you to rotate 2D images ?
I want to add some scrolling effects , but i stuck..