Sign in to follow this  
gamerboy

Answer these questions please

gamerboy    122
I am not making a game. I am a computer science student and my teacher wants me to contact any game developer and ask the following questions. So please answer the following only if you programmed a game. I'll need your name, the name of your game and a contact number and an email address (doesn't have to be yours, it could be for your organization/company). If you don't prefer disclosing that information in public, then please private message me.
Quote:
* How long did this game take from creation to production? * How many programmers were involved in the creation and implementation? * How many lines of code? * What was the most difficult part of the game to program? * What caused the most complications? * Is there any type of security built in? * What is your background in programming (number of known programming languages, employment, how long, etc) ? * Are there any suggestions that you could give me for going into computer programming? * Any miscellaneous information that you feel would be related?
I sincerely request you to help a student in need. Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanking you in advance. PS - I need all questions to be answered as each of them are graded and any unanswered questions are points lost.

ToohrVyk    1596
Victor Nicollet, for the game Darklaga: cannonball symphony. I'll give you more contact information if you explain why.

* How long did this game take from creation to production?

Nine months (released in October 2004).

* How many programmers were involved in the creation and implementation?

Two: me as game programmer, Stéphane Cocquereaumont as engine programmer.

* How many lines of code?

The game was around 50k lines of C++ code. I don't know how heavy the engine was.

* What was the most difficult part of the game to program?

Mainly the glue code, the menus and the difficulty settings.

* What caused the most complications?

The load/save system, which had to be as fast and automatic as possible.

* Is there any type of security built in?

Yes. The game requires a machine-dependent keyfile to run.

* What is your background in programming (number of known programming languages, employment, how long, etc) ?

I started programming when I was 14 in HyperTalk. I currently have eight years of experience in C++, I'm a programming teacher in a nearby high school (Caml Light) and serve as a security and development techniques expert nearby. My theoretical background is language semantics (not programming or development).

I currently know C, C++, C#, Caml Light, Objective Caml, PHP, SAS, and can defend myself pretty well in SH, TeX, PERL, Java, Stata, Scilab and a few others.

* Are there any suggestions that you could give me for going into computer programming?

Yes. A whole lot of them. Since I don't have the time, I'll direct you to read anything by Steve McConnell, Joel Spolsky and Kent Beck.

* Any miscellaneous information that you feel would be related?

Learn from your mistakes.

gamerboy    122
I need more contact information as it was asked by my teacher.

More in the sense, a website for your game, your email address and contact number(doesn't have to be your personal number.It could be for your organization or company). I need to put it in my presentation. If I don't have it, then I'll loose points.

You can private message me that information if you don't want it to be public. I guarantee privacy of that information.

And thank you very much for answering the questions. I really appreciate it.

Silent Dragon    184
Quote:
Original post by gamerboy
I need more contact information as it was asked by my teacher.

More in the sense, a website for your game, your email address and contact number(doesn't have to be your personal number.It could be for your organization or company). I need to put it in my presentation. If I don't have it, then I'll loose points.

You can private message me that information if you don't want it to be public. I guarantee privacy of that information.

And thank you very much for answering the questions. I really appreciate it.

How can you guarentee the privacy of that information when you're using it in a presentation that people are inevitably going to see?

ToohrVyk    1596
Quote:
Original post by gamerboy

In fact, it's all in my signature: links to my CV (with contact information) and my game.

gamerboy    122
Quote:
Original post by Silent Dragon

How can you guarentee the privacy of that information when you're using it in a presentation that people are inevitably going to see?

Its only seen by my teacher.

Quote:
Original post by Silent Dragon ToohrVyk

In fact, it's all in my signature: links to my CV (with contact information) and my game.

thank you