Started by
9 comments, last by Julian90 17 years, 1 month ago
I learned how to make dynamic arrays, like this:

int* array = new int[size];

And access it like this:

array = someNumber;

So, I tried to do a multidimensional dynamic array, like this:

int* array = new int[width][height];

But, it always tells me that the second dimension "cannot be used in a constant expression" or something like that. This leads me to believe that you can't declare a multidimensional dynamic array in the same way you can a normal array. If that's true, how can you create a multidimensional dynamic array? I know another thing you can do is to make an array like, int[WIDTH * HEIGHT], but I can't remember how you differentiate between rows and columns when using that method, like, if I were cycling through and drawing rows of blocks. If someone could explain the above method, I think that would be easiest. ^ Thanks!
Advertisement
You're going to have to create one dimension first, and then loop through the array and make each element an array of the second dimension.

int **array;array = new int*[width];for(int i = 0; i < width; i++){  array = new int[height];}

Or you could use a vector of vectors:
#include <vector>int main{  int height = 5, width = 4;  std::vector<std::vector<int> > array;  array.resize(width);  for (int i = 0; i < width; i++)    array.resize(height);}
It's worth mentioning also that C [and c++] does NOT store size information when you dynamicly allocate things, and that when you use an array like this :

array[width][height]
accessed like this :
array[x][y]

the compiler converts it to....

array[width * height]
accessed like this :
array[x + y * width]

...Now with that information in mind, it makes perfect sense that you could not do what you're trying to do, because of this :

array[x + y * WIDTH!]

note that the size information requires being stored [which c/c++ does not store]. It works when it's staticly defined because, in that case, it is a constant expression that can be converted at compile-time from one form to the other. This is also why you have to provide one of the dimensions when you're passing multi-dimensional arrays as parameters to functions. In short, you can't do what you're trying to do. You can define it as a pointer to [width * height], you can make one of the dimensions static, and define it as a dynamic pointer to int[width]'s, you can make it static, or you can have an int** array, and dynamicly define each dimesion independantly, but you can't put the c/c++ compiler in a position that would require it to track the size of a dynamicly defined array.
Obligatory link to the Boost Multidimensional Array Library.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Thanks guys!

I would have used vectors, but I'm working on a project for a camp and the guidelines say "must use dynamic array".

I went with the "array of arrays" mentioned in the first reply.
Quote:Original post by Uphoreum
I would have used vectors, but I'm working on a project for a camp and the guidelines say "must use dynamic array".

"A camp"? I'm intrigued. They seem to be teaching you utter nonsense, though. :(
sometimes its easier to make a dynamic array thats only a single dimension, but the way you access the elements is sort of multi-dimensional:

WIDTH = 20
HEIGHT = 10

int* array = new int[WIDTH * HEIGHT];

the item i want is at x=5, y = 7
access that element like this:

array[x + (y * WIDTH)];

makes reasonable sense to me, i used to do that in qbasic all the time for 2d tile games i made, haha ;)
Quote:the compiler converts it to....

array[width * height]
accessed like this :
array[y + + x * height]
Fixed, see my post in this thread or google for "column major vs row major"
Quote:the item i want is at x=5, y = 7
access that element like this:

array[y + (x * HEIGHT) ];

Doing it the other way will trash the cache if you try to iterate over it with
for (int i = 0; i < WIDTH; ++i){    for (int j = 0; j < HEIGHT; ++j)    {        // acesses WIDTH * 0 + 1, WIDTH * 1 + 1, WIDTH * 2 + 1, ... element        array = 0;<br>        // acesses 0, 1, 2, … element<br>        array[j + i * HEIGHT] = 0;<br>    }<br>}</pre><br><br><!–QUOTE–><BLOCKQUOTE><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><table border=0 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width="95%"><tr><td class=quote><!–/QUOTE–><!–STARTQUOTE–>Obligatory link to the <a href = "http://www.boost.org/libs/multi_array/doc/user.html">Boost Multidimensional Array Library</a>.<!–QUOTE–></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!–/QUOTE–><!–ENDQUOTE–><br><br>Seconded<br><br><!–QUOTE–><BLOCKQUOTE><span class="smallfont">Quote:</span><table border=0 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width="95%"><tr><td class=quote><!–/QUOTE–><!–STARTQUOTE–>But, it always tells me that the second dimension "cannot be used in a constant expression" or something like that. This leads me to believe that you can't declare a multidimensional dynamic array in the same way you can a normal array.<!–QUOTE–></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!–/QUOTE–><!–ENDQUOTE–><br><br>Just to explain the error message, you can declare multidimensional arrays dynamically but &#111;nly if the second dimension is a compile time constant so the compiler was complaining that height was not a compile time constant.
Good Post Julian, i didnt think of that.

But i dont feel like my suggestion was "wrong", i guess i assumed that the OP would read from left to right first, then move on to the next row. Lets take a .bmp for example: when reading or writing a bitmap, you would not have the y variable moving in the inner for-loop, it would be in the outside for-loop. In fact, i think *most* of the time when poeple are drawing "rows of blocks" (quoted from the OP, sounds like hes trying to draw left-to-right first, then move onto the next row) they would be traversing through x's first. That said, i dont think this would trash the cache:

array[x + (y * WIDTH)];

Just defending my original post, although, when it comes down to it id probably just use a multidimensional array anyways

EDIT: OK i see now, that you edited my post to show how it would trash the cache......gotcha, good call!
Quote:Original post by Julian90
**Points out my retarded typo**
Thanks, I completely missed that when i reread the post before hitting 'reply'. Good eye, but afraid you caught the wrong typo. Arrays of this type are aligned with the rows placed end-to-end.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

But in all honesty, while your method works great for traversing an image that is stored a certain way, most images are stored with the Y-value being the row index, and the X-value being the column index, so to retain cache coherency, you would use (x + (y * width)) instead of (y + (x * height)). I did goof up when i was specifying the original 2d version. Using the Y axis as the column will have the picture stored side-ways.

There isn't a 'right answer' here though. Really, it doesn't matter that much [so long as you twist the image right-way-up previous to making a texture out of it, and textures use x for column-index, and y for the row-index]. Just make sure when you're iterating over it, the inner loop is the added part, and the outer loop is the multiplied part [thus retaining the cache]. So it'll be (inner_loop_index + (outer_loop_index * pitch)) where pitch is the column count [also known as the size of the width]

Either way, thanks Julian90 for keeping me re-reading my posts for accuracy. Don't want to get sloppy.

Whatever axis is major doesn't matter, so long as it's consistent, and I wasn't consistent. Thanks for not letting my carelessness taint others.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement