Looking for a good beginner's book

Started by
5 comments, last by Menace2Society 17 years, 1 month ago
I've just decided on starting game programming about 3 weeks ago and after alot of reading around the internet, I've decided to finally get a good book to get me started. I've done some research regarding the best books and now I just need some input from you guys. I've got some questions: 1)3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development is reputedly a great book to start out with, my problem is that I've yet to finish a general Object-oriented book, would "3D Math Primer" cover that or should I start with one of those(generall OO books) first. 2)It seems that the majority of the books that people are recommending all use C++. I've made the decision to start out with a simpler language so I could concentrate more on the actual game programming rather than worry so much about syntax errors and whatnot. I've been using BlitzBasic for the past two weeks but I'm thinking about switching to XNA as it seems like a great language/framework to get into. So can anyone recommend some good introductory books having to do with XNA/C# or should I just bite the bullet and buy a C++ book? Any input is appreciated, thanks!
Advertisement
Generally speaking, books that relate specifically to games expect a certain level of existing familiarity with the language they use.

If I read your post correctly, you'd probably be better to spend some time with a more general purpose book on the language you decide to use before you will get a lot of use from a game programming text.

If you decide to go down the C++ route, which is the only route I can really speak about, I spent a lot of years writing text-based stuff before I started writing graphics-based or windows-based applications.

That was just me though. A lot of people round here seem to be able to jump straight into graphics stuff as they learn a language. I've not really come across books that teach both particularly well though.

Best of luck.
Quote:Original post by EasilyConfused
Generally speaking, books that relate specifically to games expect a certain level of existing familiarity with the language they use.

If I read your post correctly, you'd probably be better to spend some time with a more general purpose book on the language you decide to use before you will get a lot of use from a game programming text.

Let me know if this makes any sense: Right now I'm looking to learn the fundamentals of object-oriented and game programming in general, rather than delve too deeply into any specific languages(this is cause I'm eventually moving into C++ anyway). That's why I've been using BlitzBasic and thinking of moving to XNA, they let you dive into programming games with little previous experience with that language. So naturally I'm looking for a book that's light on the semantics and focuses more on the "ideas" of either OOP or Game programming. Please let me know if such a book even exists, I'd appreciate it.

BTW-I obviously understand that I'd have to actually learn C# to program games with this language, but I'm only interested in the aspects of C# that have to do with game programming. If I don't understand a C# specific code, I could easily get by with the amount of resources on the internet.
Well, it seems that you really do want to use C# and XNA, so I will write that post according to that. Please note though, that I have not used XNA before though, as I am a C++ person, although I have used C# (a long with other languages).

I have herd both good stuff and bad stuff about C# and XNA (you will hear that with any language). With my expierence with C#, it is a pretty good language. Also, you said you only want to learn the game programming aspects of C#. Well...that will be all of C# then basically. What you will do, is first learn LOTS of the languages features. Arrays, Classes, Inheritence, ect ect. You can't just learn a language, that only applies to game programming, as most languages are not designed for just game programming, and also game programming requires nearly all of the programming practices in that language, if not all of them. What I suggest: Start learning C#. I am sure you can find a C# book easily on Amazon.

I hope this helps.

Chad.

Quote:Original post by Chad Smith

I have herd both good stuff and bad stuff about C# and XNA (you will hear that with any language). With my expierence with C#, it is a pretty good language. Also, you said you only want to learn the game programming aspects of C#. Well...that will be all of C# then basically. What you will do, is first learn LOTS of the languages features. Arrays, Classes, Inheritence, ect ect.

Well yeah, I know those are neccessities, I guess what I'm trying to get at is a programming basics book with a gaming approach. But since it looks like you guys aren't gonna recommend any books for me, I guess I'll have to quit being lazy and do my own research, dammit...lol
Hey Menace, I am using Blitzbasic as well and learning about very basic operations with variables, functions and more. The book I'm using is Game programming for teens by Maneesh Shethi. I too have been going along with it for the past few weeks. I bought it at Borders and have possibly seen a XNA book which I am going to ask you if it is a good program? Anyway check around there or some university libraries, I use my siblings for their access and get a wide world to resources of books on programming there. From my minescual experince I would say my fellow newcomer to game programing to stay on Blitz because to me in a philosophical manner when the cement is wet or early layed it is easier to put things in it such as our heads with infromation, but when it is hard it is much more difficult to insert material and info. so i would suggest not biting into the bullet of C++ just stay on the easy path then jump on the big ship later as I am plannig on doing.
Quote:Original post by treize7
Hey Menace, I am using Blitzbasic as well and learning about very basic operations with variables, functions and more. The book I'm using is Game programming for teens by Maneesh Shethi. I too have been going along with it for the past few weeks. I bought it at Borders and have possibly seen a XNA book which I am going to ask you if it is a good program? Anyway check around there or some university libraries, I use my siblings for their access and get a wide world to resources of books on programming there. From my minescual experince I would say my fellow newcomer to game programing to stay on Blitz because to me in a philosophical manner when the cement is wet or early layed it is easier to put things in it such as our heads with infromation, but when it is hard it is much more difficult to insert material and info. so i would suggest not biting into the bullet of C++ just stay on the easy path then jump on the big ship later as I am plannig on doing.

Yeah I agree on using uni resources. I just found this: url="http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-4.html today and it's been a great read so far.

XNA basically has the same idea as BlitzBasic in that it's designed for indie and educational purposes. It's a bit more complicated since it's based on C#, but it's advantages are it has alot of backing from Microsoft and it's a far more powerful framework than BlitzBasic. Here's a pretty good primer from GameCareerGuide: http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/328/microsofts_xna_a_.php?page=2
I'm not too familiar with the technical side so that's all I can offer, hope it helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement