Sign in to follow this  
deadimp

md5-hash Listing...

Just a random thought that came into my head (and it's been there for a while), but how many projects (if any) have implemented an md5-hash listing 'feature' on a website or such that associates the md5 (or any hash/serializing algorithm) of a file (most notably a binary executable) and stores version info, description, etc? (used for virus detection and all that) More so, does Microsoft have such a list? Ubuntu? Is there a 'global' list, with just randomnly registered programs? Or do none exist, because the hashes do not have enough 'precise difference'? (It's just a guess, I haven't looked into this)

I've never heard of such a listing. It seems a little unfeasible though, if you think about it. There are thousands of commonly-used programs consisting of hundreds of files that have potentially dozens of different builds and versions. If you consider the effort required to produce such a database and weight it off against the level of use it will get, the whole task seems a little vain.

Admiral