Voice emulation and modification

Started by
3 comments, last by pjcast 17 years, 1 month ago
Right now I'm a loner where it comes to game creation, and I'll probably be doing 100% of the process on my own. No real problem there right now, except for something that just occurred to me which is voice acting. I've only got one voice, and I suck at doing impressions of other voices. So my question is, are there any programs out there or special methods by which I can take a voice (let's say my own as the example) and transform/alter it such that it can sound like other tones or voice types entirely, or perhaps speech emulation programs with very customizable options such that I can have it read a section of text and produce voice of the words in a desired (or at least alternative) and reasonably human-sounding voice? I know that XP has a very basic built in function for this in the control panel somewhere (I remember playing around with it once for a quick 10-15 minutes of self-amusement), but it probably won't be anything near enough to suit my needs and might even violate some sort of obscure license, possibly. Assuming Microsoft copyrighted the emulated voices somehow, which wouldn't be out of character for them to do, but I digress. Curious about this mainly so that in a possible game I'll work on making as a stepping stone towards working on something larger in scope, I can add voice to various characters in the story and whatnot. But be able to do so on the cheap by doing all the acting myself or with my computer. My other related question on the matter is if I'd be able to do something like this with Audacity perhaps, since when I was downloading it I noticed something the site said about plugins or sound effects/mutations you could do with it. I'd like to be able to generate all sorts of voices, male, female, and genderless, as well as various effects on those voices. Such as if I wanted a voice to sound like it was coming in over a radio, it might sound electronic and kinda scratchy, or somesuch. For that I realise I could just immitate that by using actual props, but it would be nicer if I could simply do it via program. Anyhow, input on the matter is appreciated. Thanks. Edit: When I say 100% of the process, I mean I don't have any other actual people on any kind of team. I'd be doing the programming, the art, etc etc. [Edited by - Lobotomy on March 3, 2007 8:16:31 PM]
Advertisement
AT&T's Natural Voices demo (there's obviously a full product, if you feel the need) might cover your need for a few voices. It's the most human sounding I've heard, certainly.
[TheUnbeliever]
When I was spending much time in teamspeak talking with people, I used to use this program to change my voice: http://www.audio4fun.com/voice-changer.htm

I'm not sure if that is what you're looking for, but it can change your voice into different types of persons. It's also possible to make your own voices with it by changing different settings. This application is not free however, but there is a 30 day free trial available if you want to try it.
I'll give it a look. Thanks.
There is also Festival (there are some demos on the Festvox site) which does text to speech (TTS). Though, I have only seen one good qaulity example using that, which does not have the source. AT&T's voice demo is by far the best I have found and seen as far as qaulity goes - of course, I'm not sure of the cost

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement