Sign in to follow this  
ankhd

The book DirectX 9 Graphics the definitive Guide uses this LPD3DXFILEDATA not in SDK

ankhd    2304
Hi all, trying to create a class that loads Xfiles, I have this book that uses this LPD3DXFILEDATA but the SDK does not have this in itand also I found some other functions used in the book like LPD3DXFILEDATA ->GetChild( counter, LPD3DXFILEDATA); but also the sdk does not have this. is this book crap or did the sdk get changed. The sdk does have this but, IDirectXFileData interface but instead of GetChild it has GetNextObject. Is this what I should be using dam I was All set to write this class and load in my meshs and now f knows may just go get ?? instead.

VanillaSnake21    175
I had this book before and I remmeber having the same problem, I think the author wrote pseudocode without actually compiling anything to make sure it worked. But in this there is a method ID3DXFileData::GetChild(SIZE_T, ID3DXFileData), maybe he meant that, so just use ID3DXFileData * name, and it will be like an LPD3DXFILEDATA. If I remmber correctly that wasn't the only problem I ran into, there are some further issues with loading an Xfile which is hard to resolve. There is an exccelt guide on this site somhere on how to load and parse an XFile correctly.

PS. The book is not crap, the other areas it covers are pretty good, just don't rely on the exact code you get from it that much.

ankhd    2304
Hi, yeah your right the book is not crap, there is some good stuff in there.
and I found a tut here.
http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/load_x_hierarchy.html#HierarchyConcept

Working on it right now