Sign in to follow this  
madox

Trouble with reflections

Hopefully someone can give me some tips on reflections. My current project has a number of game peices sitting on a board, and I want the board to be reflective. I have done this by rendering copies of the game pieces upside down, and blending them with the board. The pixel shader sets the reflected object's alpha to 0.5 An idea of what the board looks like is here: Game Board The problem is that the game peices end up looking fully transparant in the reflection when they shouldn't be (you can see some legs though the reflected body). I highlighted the problem here: Reflection Problem I'm guessing that the legs are being rendered first, then the body, so blending kicks in and blends them. If the body was rendered first, the legs wouldn't show up at all there. However, I don't know how to easily make a mesh render its subsets front to back. I can imagine sorting prims manaully is possible but tedious. Will this sorting fix this problem and/or how do you guys do reflections?

True - that is an option in this case, but more generally, any mesh I want to render transparently would have this problem. If I had one transparent mesh visible through another transparent mesh, the rendering order wouldn't fix it. There must be some other way to fix this.

Quote:
Original post by madox
....by rendering copies of the game pieces upside down, and blending them with the board. The pixel shader sets the reflected object's alpha to 0.5

You should draw the reflected objects normally (with no transparency), then blend the board on top of them. Then draw the non-reflected objects. That is the usual way.