Dual monitor question

Started by
4 comments, last by AndreTheGiant 17 years, 1 month ago
My new PC has a Radeon X1300 card which I can only assume is a PCI-X card. Unfortunately it doesn't have two monitor outputs, just a single VGA output. I want to be able to support two monitors. I wonder if I'm best buying a card with two outputs, or adding another card to the existing one? Can you recommend some cards suitable? I should make it clear I don't play games on this PC so I don't need an amazing GPU. I don't want a card which uses my system memory though, I'm guessing a reasonably basic 256Mb card would be quite cheap?
Advertisement
Looking at this from a slightly different angle, you could try Matrox's TripleHead 2 Go. It looks like it basically presents a set of up to three screens as a single monitor so you only need one output on the card.
[TheUnbeliever]
That's pretty cool, but I don't think my current graphics adapter would do so well with a resolution 3000x1000 - wouldn't I need something better to ahdnle that? And since loads of modern cards come with dual-head anyway... although 3 screens would be wonderful.
Cramming a cheap PCI adaptor in there should allow you to have a second monitor without much work. It'll be disabled during fullscreen hardware-intensive games anyway, so you don't have to worry about the performance hit.
I would go with what Ravuya has to say. Your only other option is either buying a new car with 2 outputs or, if you have 2 PCI-e slots, you could add another PCI-e video card. I doubt you have a board with PCI-e and AGP, I have only seem one of those in the past. Its not hard to setup either. Just stick the second card in, install the drivers, and go to you video settings(right click on your desktop > properties > settings and there you just click on the second box in the bigger box and click the "extend my desktop onto this monitor" box.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Quote:Original post by lethalhamster
I would go with what Ravuya has to say. Your only other option is either buying a new car with 2 outputs

I dont see how buying a new car is going to help. Man am I behind on this technology.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement