Asynchronous winsock question

Started by
11 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 1 month ago
I'm trying to make a program where small pieces of data can be exchanged between 2 instances of it over a network. I tried to just use send() and recv() but if one app tries to send 2 things one right after another the 2nd piece of data never reaches its destination. So now im thinking maybe I should try Asynchronous sockets, but from what im reading, im under the impression you cannot have the app send and receive data, it has to be either a server (receive data) or a client (send data) and you cannot have a single application act like a server and a client. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
Advertisement
The Forum FAQ tells you what the problem likely is when sending two pieces of data (assuming you're using TCP).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Mrafcho001 - Both the client and the server have the ability to send and receive. It is a two-way connection.

When using send() and recv(), the number of bytes sent should match the number of bytes received. You do not have any promise on how many calls it will take to send() or recv() with a TCP/IP connection.

send() returns the number of bytes actually transmitted. You should check to make sure this value is the entirety of the message intended to be sent.

recv() similarly returns the number of bytes read. You should continue to make recv() calls until the total number of bytes recv()ed matches the number of bytes sent().

You will notice that you must define a protocol such that you know how many bytes are expected in a communication between the client <-> server.
oh thanks a lot guys...

the problem I'm having though is im transmitting 4 byte (in int) that has the number of bytes to be sent right after, so i can properly allocate memory to recieve the next piece of data.

what is happening is send is saying that all the data has been properly sent, but recv on the other program is showing 0 received bytes and also i get error 10014 every single time!

i checked all pointers, they seem to be properly allocated but i dont know whats happening.
Post the code?
heres a simpler example of what i was talking about, it doesnt work, instead of printing out HELLO2 int prints out one character

#include <iostream>#include <winsock2.h>#include <windows.h>using namespace std;int main(){	WORD sockVer;	WSADATA wsaData;	int nret;	sockVer = MAKEWORD(2,2);	if(WSAStartup(sockVer, &wsaData) != 0)		cout << "FAILURE" << endl;	else		cout << "SUCCESS" << endl;		SOCKET listening;	SOCKET newcon;	SOCKADDR_IN serveraddr;	SOCKADDR_IN clientaddr;	int port = 5150;	listening = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP);	serveraddr.sin_family = AF_INET;	serveraddr.sin_port = htons(port);	serveraddr.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY);	if(bind(listening, (SOCKADDR*)&serveraddr, sizeof(serveraddr))!= 0)	{		cout << "bind failure" << endl;		printf("ERROR: %d", WSAGetLastError());	}	if(listen(listening, 5) != 0)	{		cout << "listen failure" << endl;	}		int sizeofclientaddr = sizeof(clientaddr);	newcon = SOCKET_ERROR;	while(1)	{	while(newcon == SOCKET_ERROR)	{		newcon = accept(listening, (SOCKADDR*)&clientaddr, &sizeofclientaddr);	}		cout << "CONNECTION HERE!" << endl;		char buff[256];		recv(newcon, (char*)&buff, 255, 0);		cout << buff << endl;		char buff2[256];		if(newcon == INVALID_SOCKET)		{			cout << "INVALID SOCKET" << endl;		}		int iret = recv(newcon, (char*)&buff2, 255, 0);		if(iret == SOCKET_ERROR)		{			cout << "ERR: " << WSAGetLastError() << endl;		}		cout << "recved: " << iret << endl;		cout << buff2 << endl;		closesocket(newcon);		newcon = SOCKET_ERROR;	}	closesocket(newcon);	closesocket(listening);	WSACleanup();	system("PAUSE");	return 0;}

#include <iostream>#include <winsock2.h>#include <windows.h>using namespace std;int main(){	WORD sockVer;	WSADATA wsaData;	sockVer = MAKEWORD(2,2);	if(WSAStartup(sockVer, &wsaData) != 0)		cout << "FAILURE" << endl;	else		cout << "SUCCESS" << endl;		SOCKADDR_IN serveraddr;	int port = 5150;	SOCKET s;	s = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP);	if(s == INVALID_SOCKET)		cout << "INVALID SOCKET" << endl;	serveraddr.sin_family = AF_INET;	serveraddr.sin_port = htons(port);	serveraddr.sin_addr.s_addr = inet_addr("192.168.0.102");	if(connect(s, (SOCKADDR*)&serveraddr, sizeof(serveraddr)) != 0)	{		printf("Erorr: %d", WSAGetLastError());	}	send(s, "HELLO", 6, 0);	int iret = send(s, "HELLO2", 7, 0);	if(iret == SOCKET_ERROR)	{		cout << "\nERROR: " << WSAGetLastError() << endl;	}	cout << "sent: " << iret << endl;	closesocket(s);	WSACleanup();	system("PAUSE");	return 0;}
recv(newcon, (char*)&buff, 255, 0);

should be:
recv(newcon, buff, 255, 0);

Be careful casting types, the compiler was trying to warn you that the &buff was incorrect.

When declaring an array, the array name is a pointer.
still get same output:
received return 0 and the output is "e" instead of "HELLO2"
however on the client program send() returns 7
:-\
Do you receive the HELLO?
yeah the first message receives fine, its the 2nd one thats never received.

and in the bigger program thats the actual data that i need, the first message is just the size of the data thats to be followed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement